Newbie Lathe Choice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not decided. I'm trying to keep an open mind. I appreciate the feedback. For example, I had not heard of lathe master, and that is an interesting option.

I have some time. I moved recently, and I have some work to do to get the shop setup, so I'll use that time to do research. The plan is to spend the summer doing that so it's ready for winter building season.

Regardless , the gentleman that said I want to build enginesh rather than lathes is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

One option for a <1k lathe might be to check if there are any industrial surplus warehouses near you. By me there's HGR surplus, in Cleveland, and I've seen a number of nice lathes go by from there. On a different note, you might want to look into getting a milling adapter for whatever lathe you get. My dad has a book which describes how with only a lathe you can make everything else for the shop, so for the extra versatility, I think it's a worthy investment.

I guess if you are only making toys from aluminium a SEIG will suffice, but if you plan on machining steel of any diametre over 20mm you will rue the day you ever bought a SEIG. I spend more time rebuilding these pieces of junk than I do getting any work done. No one nor nay litriture warns of the issues that arise if you try working in steel on these machines. They simply lack any rigity, and twist like a reed in the wind. This makes achieving any finish, repeatability or accuracy vertually impossible. ANd before anyone says it, yes I am working well within the limits of what would be reasonable for a machine of this size.
I have a colleague who has the X3 and even he reportds that he has issues working in steel but not to the degree I expereince on the HM10. The AL-60 (C6) is a little more forgiving but once you exceed diametres of 20-30mm the inadiquacies begin to appear. So be warned. If you intend working in steel avoid these machines at all costs.

I'm curious. Do you put all SIEG machines in the same category? Including those from little machine shop, or I guess even Grizzly?

Earlier you note the Super x3 would be good, but then state the "do not buy" on SIEG so I'm trying to clarify.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

I love making toys on my little lathe. Exactly why I bought it. Have yet to rue.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Not to start anything but I cut mild steel on myX2 and have never had a problem. What does the size of material have too do with the cutting capability of the mill? Other than work envelope of course. My mill is the tilting column version with the smaller motor, I think the Little Machine Shop mill (solid column, bigger motor) would be a great choice for a mill in that size range.

Shawn

Shawn, naythtimonkey, and me are ALL right.

If you want to make one, single, piece, for personal reasons, the very lightweight machines will work ok.

I made a flat disc (chuck backplate) in cast iron on a 7x lathe.
Big ie 125 mm in diameter.
To less than 0.01 mm error, and 0.01 mm TIR.

It is doable.
BUT..
The lathe is not capable of it in terms of tooling, setup, carriage, gibs, torque or power.

It took 3 hours to do. About the same in setup and whatsthis.
This is a 15 min job on my 12x light industrial lathe.
12x difference.

Shawn, naythtimonkey, and me are ALL right.

If you want to make one, single, piece, for personal reasons, the very lightweight machines will work ok.

Does that mean the lathe will only make one part, or the lathe can't make parts with repeatable accuracy?

I think what he's saying is that the smaller machines don't have enough power to cut as aggressively as a larger machine, which should be obvious.

That said, the smaller machines can certainly can make accurate parts within their size envelope as long as you limit the cutting forces, it's just going to take longer per part. Not a big deal for one or two parts, but could be huge if you're doing a bunch of them.

I enjoy the process more than the product I guess, so speed doesn't concern me as much. I can see your point if you needed to make a bunch-o-something. I also started with zero experience, and am still learning. I think for me, my Taig is the right size.

Latest posts

Back