Newbie and The Rocking Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arnoldb said:
Thanks - I forgot about that link :)

Did mine the crude way; clamped in cross-vice in drill press - spotted center by eye on scribed length and just touched with a center drill - made a small dent; just followed through with the 1.6mm drill.
Arnold

That little gizmo does come in handy

Namibia? Sun must be low in the western sky for you, its only 10 in the morning here. tend to forget locations, I'm drinking coffee and that's the last thing you want this time of day :) Definitely more than a stone throw away.

rleete said:
I did mine the same way. Unfortunately, I got it just the barest hint of off center. Now that I've noticed it, I see it every time.

And when the hole is half the dia of the part being drilled it becomes more noticeable.

Perhaps some of the masters will take pity and post photos to get those cross holes "Spot On"

Robert

Namibia? Sun must be low in the western sky for you, its only 10 in the morning here. tend to forget locations, I'm drinking coffee and that's the last thing you want this time of day Smiley Definitely more than a stone throw away.
Yep - dark here & already had a bottle of Namibia Breweries' "winter" beer called Urbock - now enjoying a glass of wine while making grub :D
Time delay gives me & the guys in GB a head start Rof} - Must check up where our "Down Under Regions" friends fall in though; they might have the best head start ;D

I did mine the same way. Unfortunately, I got it just the barest hint of off center. Now that I've noticed it, I see it every time.
And when the hole is half the dia of the part being drilled it becomes more noticeable.
Too true, but I've also noticed that while I see the most tiny defect/scratch on my work, other people don't seem to notice it. My Rocker's pretty roughly machined; my company MD happened to come into my office yesterday & commented that he "LIKES" the finish - now wants me to turn him a knob for a cane/walking stick with the same finish! - shucks; If I can get him to sponsor a double-quantity of brass stock, I'll do a rough-turned job for free Rof}

Regards, Arnold

Craftsman 109 alright, so if you know that machine you know it itself can be a bit challenging.

The reason that I am so intrigued by you and others doing projects with the little 109 is that I have two in the basement.
The one my brother bought at the market of fleas I am guessing about 10 years ago it came hear for a repair . I bored and installed a headstock bearing/bushing here it sits. Since then he has purchased several other lathes better that he does not use.
The second one came from a buddy of mine. He purchased it when he came back from Germany after the war. IIRC he was part of the American occupational forces after WWII. Not sure if he ever really used it. When he passed away the lathe was offered to his grandson by marriage (Wife's, granddaughters, husband) who is a trained tool and die maker . He passed on the offer deciding it was not worth having. he was also a coworker of mine at the time. Small world in Souther new Jersey long intertwined grape vine. LOL. So the lathe was offered to me and I accepted. I like old tools and a challenge even though it may take some time to rise to it.

Not trying to hijack the thread hear we can start one on the 109 if you like or not.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
The reason that I am so intrigued by you and others doing projects with the little 109 is that I have two in the basement.

Not trying to hijack the thread hear we can start one on the 109 if you like or not.
Tin

Might be a good idea. Machine specific sub categories of some sort. Lots of good mod ideas afoot but not all are easily adaptable. What works on a 9x20 pert can be hard for a Sherline and impossible for the 109.

I hunt around the tips and tricks for ideas, lot of them good, if my machine had the meat to accept them. Maybe a general query to the members, see if any interest exist for sub cat under the machine mod group

Long Weekend Project

The infliction that seems to have spread and run its course still lingers in these old bones. The ailment of changing the plan has struck yet another.

Rather than try to explain how the thing works, used some clear plastic for the cylinder.

Close enough to being done. Need the proper screw for the crank disk.

rocker-a13a.jpg

You can see how the piston "Rocks" throughout its travel

rocker-a15.jpg

Top shot

rocker-a14.jpg

Now if Bride doesn't find out I stole one of her "Silver Goblets" for the stand I might just get to see if it runs :)

Robert

Looking Great Robert! - Should have known you have a reason for being inflected with the "disease" for longer than most ;D
Regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
Looking Great Robert! - Should have known you have a reason for being inflected with the "disease" for longer than most ;D
Regards, Arnold

Thanks

I'm just slow. Did manage a transmission change somewhere in the process of this build. But every time I'd be under the car I could here the Rocker calling to me. Just what I need "More Voices" :)

Wait I hear ZEE now, yup! he's hooked

Robert

My the old victorian era strain where'd you pick that up.????
Tin

Nice! :bow:

Also: Ah-ha, custom builds are "allowed", eh? I was wondering when someone would start that...

Robert, Neat looking engine. That engine should explain how a rocker works better than a thousand words.

Blogs, talk about "Bling". That is a gorgeous little engine.

You and Robert certainly know how to think outside the box!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Finished, double dose of spirits and the fever has passed. Little buffing and she cleaned up nice. Crank Disk would look nicer out of shinny AL HMM?

Does run on breath power, good way to get that warm, fuzzy, room spinning feeling :)

rocker-a16.jpg

And the video, even caught the barn birds a-chirping

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ocE7UaE7U[/ame]

Now for the month of Sundays to clean the barn shop up.

Robert

Hay Foozer,

I think you've graduated from the newbie category.

:bow: :bow: Well Done :bow: :bow:

Philly

Blogwitch said:
It seems to be the time for showing these little devils to the world.
This one was finished this morning.
Blogs

Nice, I love the "ray gun" styling. Awesome work, thank you for sharing it! :bow:

Foozer said:
Finished, double dose of spirits and the fever has passed. Little buffing and she cleaned up nice.
Does run on breath power, good way to get that warm, fuzzy, room spinning feeling :)
Five stars from me, that was fun to watch. :bow: I really like the way that looks.
But, GET CLOSER, I want to see into that clear cylinder better. ;D

Oh, you misspelled 'breath' in your YouTube tags. :big: :big:

Vernon said:
Nice, I love the "ray gun" styling. Awesome work, thank you for sharing it! :bow:

Five stars from me, that was fun to watch. :bow: I really like the way that looks.
But, GET CLOSER, I want to see into that clear cylinder better. ;D

Oh, you misspelled 'breath' in your YouTube tags. :big: :big:

Must of been that third Tequila shot :) I'll see if I can grab a closer shot of the piston in action

Like Bogs engine. I didnt have the guts to crank the air up, destructive testing is not on this weeks plan :)

Hay Foozer,

I think you've graduated from the newbie category.

Well Done

Philly

But then what excuse would I have ?

Nice slo-mo. Perfect way to show how the things work.

Robert,
Great video! It's so much better than drawings to explain the operation! Thm:

Dave

Robert, Well Done! :bow: - nice feeling when it runs. Now, what's next ??? ???

Blogs, great looking engine - do you work for Chip Foose ?

Regards, Arnold

Back