Newbie and The Rocking Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zeeprogrammer said:
The flywheel looks good. I've always liked flywheels that use different metals or are put together rather than being a one-piece.

My poor eyes can't tell what's wrong with the one on the right. Are the holes shifted left a bit?

That's at least the 2nd time I've seen that brand of sardines. (I trust it's a different can.) I wonder if they're available around here?

Not hard to make a composite bit. First one (the bad) had about a 0.005 diff in dia. Tad tight, hard rap. Second (good one) reduced the interference fit to 0.003. heated rim to 350 degrees and web chilled in the freezer. Still took a light rap to get em together, they not gonna come apart without some encouragement.

Holes shifted a bit, center axis of RT and flywheel were in separate worlds. perty sure the RT was the one off the mark. First time around I just found the edge of the RT and subtracted from there, thought I accounted for the dia of the edge finder but ??. The second time around indicated the RT off its little tapered center and then the flywheel.

New can, store didn't carry them, so asked and they got, better if its the Louisiana Hot Sauce type. In this case close is just fine.

Funny how the bride, for some reason suddenly doesn't want me in the house after a can or two, have no idea why :)

Actually a fun little project.

arnoldb said:
That little bush now officially became the smallest part I have ever made

I actually turned a bit of brass down for the piston/crank pin. It calls for a .063 dowel, but I didn't want to order on-line (and wait), and I'm sure the local hardware store doesn't have anything that small.

I think it's neat that so many of us are building the same thing. We can then relate to one another as to how small the parts are, what the process is, and finally how it runs when complete. You know exactly what is involved, even though everyone seems to be adding their own personal touches.

I'd like to see this continue with another small engine. Sort of an individual team build. Any suggestions for the next one? I'm considering either a double wobbler (similar to the liney RV-1), or the double scotch yoke.

rleete said:
I'd like to see this continue with another small engine. Sort of an individual team build. Any suggestions for the next one? I'm considering either a double wobbler (similar to the liney RV-1), or the double scotch yoke.

Marv showed a very nice little pocket size horizontal slide valve engine on a recent thread, I was looking for the plans when I found the Rocking Engine, I was wondering of you could point us in the direction of the plans Marv, as it would make a nice contender.

Thanks

Stew

Marv showed a very nice little pocket size horizontal slide valve engine on a recent thread, I was looking for the plans when I found the Rocking Engine, I was wondering of you could point us in the direction of the plans Marv, as it would make a nice contender.
I think you're referring to the Duclos Huff 'n Puff - I haven't ordered the book yet - from Village Press.
Been pondering Elmer's Tiny myself - but will have to wait a bit; after the build marathon this weekend, I need to pay attention to some other domestic duties...

I actually turned a bit of brass down for the piston/crank pin. It calls for a .063 dowel, but I didn't want to order on-line (and wait), and I'm sure the local hardware store doesn't have anything that small.
I got a 1m length of 1.5mm of piano wire from a local hobby store - just cut off a bit; drilled the "crank" 1.4 mm & hammered it in. 1.6mm for the hole in the connecting rod & worked a treat.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Robert ! :-[

Regards, Arnold

SBWHART said:

Look for "The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos", a book published by Village Press, publishers of "Home Shop Machinist" magazine.

I should point out that the H&P is nowhere as simple an engine as the rocking engine. If you're put off by the part size on the rocking engine, you're going to go nuts with the H&P.

Just an example... The pins used as pivots on the connecting rods are 1/16" drill rod turned down to 0.040". Then the ends are split with a 0.010" slitting saw so they can be spread slightly to keep them in place. OAL is something like 0.050".

Thanks for the information Marv

that sound my sort of engine.

Bit of a glutton for punishment.

Stew

Too tiny for me. Workholding was becoming troublesome as it was, not having collets.

Small, but not tiny. Simple enough that several of us (mostly newbies) can get on with it without too much trouble. One of Elmer's designs, probably.

OK I'd be happy with an Elmer

Stew

Coor Blimey

Those small parts are mind boggling thanks for sharing Marv I'd run a mile from something like that.

Stew

Stew look what you stated

If you look around here you may see there is a strange computer transmitted disease that effects humans. Rockerous projectius or something like that. Symptoms include strong desire to to build a little steam engine. it will have you cooped up in your shop for a day or two in most cases possibly longer.. You will likely have the strong urge to not totality follow the blueprint. And in the late stages will cause slightly increased heart rate due to the excitement of watching an engine you made run . Be careful, very contagious there are 5 confirmed cases most in the last but most contagious stage of the disease. Caution it is believed this may be contagious even after all symptoms are over.

Tin

If you look around here you may see there is a strange computer transmitted disease that effects humans. Rockerous projectius or something like that. Symptoms include strong desire to to build a little steam engine. it will have you cooped up in your shop for a day or two in most cases possibly longer.. You will likely have the strong urge to not totality follow the blueprint.

A day or two? HA. Longer? define long...

While most have completed their 'Rocker' I'm still chugging away, ignoring all other items that need attention. OK I did get the tranny back into the car, still sitting on stands tho :)

Where am I? OH the piston. Turned it down and figured I'd better get that little hole drilled before I have a piece I cant handle. Another way around the fence. Took a piece of AL same dia as the pistion stock, drilled a 0.0125 hole into one end. Measured in 0.517 and marked.

rocker-a11.jpg

Slipped the piston rod into this and mounted into my little hole drilling jig.

rocker-a12.jpg

Worked. Hole looks right so now to remove the rest till just the piston/rod remains.

rocker-a13.jpg

Robert

Slow, yup Fun, YUP

Nice going Robert

That drilling jig of yours is really handy for this type of job; will have to build myself something like that as well

Regards, Arnold

Well doen Robert you've certainly got the old verticle slide mastered.

Stew

A day or two? HA. Longer? define long...
You must have a stong immune system slowing down the progression of this...
Seriously though the point is to have fun and learn I realy just have a loooong Saturday in my two. still need to do the two cylinders.
Did get one drilles and bored though. And I found a boo boo on the axles both ends are cut in .190 oops. And I will likely make another piston the thickness is a bit light on one and it would be good to get you guys a phot of my setup for drilling the little hole, totally different from yours.
IIRC you are doing the build on a craftsman 109??
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
You must have a stong immune system slowing down the progression of this...
Seriously though the point is to have fun and learn I realy just have a loooong Saturday in my two. still need to do the two cylinders.
Did get one drilles and bored though. And I found a boo boo on the axles both ends are cut in .190 oops. And I will likely make another piston the thickness is a bit light on one and it would be good to get you guys a phot of my setup for drilling the little hole, totally different from yours.
IIRC you are doing the build on a craftsman 109??
Tin

And here I thought I was the only one who did the .190 bit. Kept looking, checking, cutting, YA! .190, BOO, Both sides :)

Please do post a shot of drilling the little hole. Items like that can make or break a project. Tips and tricks like centering small round stock for cross drilling is one of the ones a newbie like myself look for from the advice of the experienced. May sound easy to do, but getting that little bugger in proper place is a task.

Craftsman 109 alright, so if you know that machine you know it itself can be a bit challenging. Must be that strong immune system that has kept it from being introduced to the log splitter ;)

Robert

Foozer said:
Idea came from here His much fancier than mine. Works nice and easy.

Robert
Thanks - I forgot about that link :)

Did mine the crude way; clamped in cross-vice in drill press - spotted center by eye on scribed length and just touched with a center drill - made a small dent; just followed through with the 1.6mm drill.
Arnold

I did mine the same way. Unfortunately, I got it just the barest hint of off center. Now that I've noticed it, I see it every time.

Back