Newb just hoping to learn

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkedout

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to building model engines.

My son (7 years old) and I are trying to build our first Sterling engine together.
I don't own a shop, or even a garage, so we're making due with what we can do on our kitchen table. ;D
We'll see what we can do.

I would LOVE to have some of the equipment and skills I've seen exhibited by you guys. I hope to just get to know y'all and learn bit by bit. This seems like a great community.

I'll engage "lurking mode" now. :)

~ co

CO,

Welcome to HMEM.

Don't be shy. Most of us started out on the kitchen table. My first tools were a hacksaw and a screwdriver. My first mill was a file. I didn't get my first lathe till I was about 30, a little Sherline that I still have. Tools and a shop, just like a home, are accumulated over time. So are the skills. But they'll never develop if you never start.

So, congratulations on starting ;D

CO,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome CO! I'm sure you'll learn everything you need to get started modeling your first engine here, all one must do is ask, and this find group will help in any possible way they can.

ksouers said:
CO,

Welcome to HMEM.

Don't be shy. Most of us started out on the kitchen table. My first tools were a hacksaw and a screwdriver. My first mill was a file. I didn't get my first lathe till I was about 30, a little Sherline that I still have. Tools and a shop, just like a home, are accumulated over time. So are the skills. But they'll never develop if you never start.

So, congratulations on starting ;D
Ksouers; Well Put.

Matt

I appreciate the encouragement. I'll post a few pictures and if it works... video. :)

My vocation is working as a project manager and purchaser for a marketing company in Oregon. I also have a side job doing IT consulting, and my other hobby is the custom PC building.
I custom build watercooled PCs. That equipment is all prefabricated though, so very little more than connect hose 1 to barb 2 and fill with coolant. But then comes the overclocking and configuration.

With that in mind, I'm happy to provide input if you're looking for PC help. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
I'm floored by the workmanship I see on your projects. I'd love to someday develop half that ability. ;D

Welcome, co.
Don't be too concerned about the tools you don't have. It's what you have, and how you use it that will get you going. Some of us had a very small assortment of tools to start with, and most of those didn't need electricity.

Let us know what you've got to work with, and what you need to do. You'll get answers or suggestions for almost any situation.

Dean

By the way. I have found a website that appears to have a ton of good information on mini-lathes (which I hope to own someday soon) and mini-mills.

I think a decent quality 7 x 12 would do me just fine for the work I want to do. I need to do a lot of reading and someday practicing but I figured I'd share a resource that seems good for me. Maybe it can help others out there who are in my same boat. :)

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm

There seems to be a well maintained and updated list of stuff for us first-timer / never-touched-a-lathe types.

Yep, you hit the mother load there. Its that site that got me interrested in machining a few years go. Did a lot of lurking til about a year ago and took the plunge. The internet is loaded with info for us newbies.

Welcome to the forum CO.

Yeah..that mini-lathe site is great. I started machining last Feb...I made my initial list of 'gotta haves' and 'wanta haves' from that site.

The mini is a good starter in my opinion...but don't let it fool you...for one thing...they require just as much attention to safety...for another...it's just a 'small' part of the investment when you consider tools etc.

Well guys. I had to go incommunicado for a while there. Family 'issues'.

I'm back, and hoping to get things going again soon. My Sterling Engine was a dud, I did it all by rote and ended up not configuring displacement right... Oh well, chalk-up 1 learning experience. :)

I'm leaving BIG hints with my wife for a Sterling Engine kit. I figure my boys and I can get some fun time in there, and we can learn some of the basics of how these things work.

sorry to hear the sterling didn't pan out, may I suggest putting it on the shelf and revisiting it after some other engine projects. you may find it rewarding to rework it some day with your son and the skills you develop

Randy

Back