Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsenechal57

Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for accepting me in this group. I found a partially built Cole Corliss model engine. This is well beyond my skill level, so I'm hoping that by reviewing previous posts, I might be able to learn enough to make this thing actually work. Thanks again. Dave

Welcome Dave, glad to have you.

I have studied the Corliss a bit, and also studied the Coles Corliss a little.

Below is a photo of a set of Corliss castings (no my photo), and a Corliss print from an old book.

I am not a steam-valve guy, but you can bet there are a few here.

corliss 007.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

There was a multi-part magazine article in Live Steam Magazine that apparently spanned 1994/1996, called "Building a Corliss Steam Engine" by James S. Wolfe.

Apparently it is a throttle vavle.

Here is the original Coles Corliss advertisement from their catalog.

It looks like my scanner had a seizure during the later part of the scan.

Coles-Corliss.jpg

Hi. Thanks for accepting me in this group. I found a partially built Cole Corliss model engine. This is well beyond my skill level, so I'm hoping that by reviewing previous posts, I might be able to learn enough to make this thing actually work. Thanks again. Dave
Well just what IS your skill level? What tools have you got? Iff you don't want the kit, you can send it to me. What size lathe you have? Mill?

I have that magazine article, a series over several months if you needs it. I just partially finished the four stuffing boxes to the valves. Unfortunately, the things need to be reversed in the lathe in order to bore a partial hole -- it is too delicate to put in the 3 jaw--needs a collet. My collets are ER-type collets, however, I built the holder for a D1-5 lathe spindle nose and it is not centered well enough to use for this operation as it needs to be within .0005 inch and concentric to a .25 inch thru hole. At least IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion).

Last edited:
Well just what IS your skill level? What tools have you got? Iff you don't want the kit, you can send it to me. What size lathe you have? Mill?

I have that magazine article, a series over several months if you needs it. I just partially finished the four stuffing boxes to the valves. Unfortunately, the things need to be reversed in the lathe in order to bore a partial hole -- it is too delicate to put in the 3 jaw--needs a collet. My collets are ER-type collets, however, I built the holder for a D1-5 lathe spindle nose and it is not centered well enough to use for this operation as it needs to be within .0005 inch and concentric to a .25 inch thru hole. At least IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion).
I have a Sherline lathe, but no mill. From what I can see from the pictures, most of the heavy lifting has already been done. It's probably 80% or so completed. There are some pieces missing (throttle valve, among others), but I have some (very) modest skill in 3D designing, and should be able to produce the files to have the missing pieces printed in stainless or brass. This unit is scheduled for delivery thing coming week, so I'll know more after it gets here.

I have a Sherline lathe, but no mill. From what I can see from the pictures, most of the heavy lifting has already been done. It's probably 80% or so completed. There are some pieces missing (throttle valve, among others), but I have some (very) modest skill in 3D designing, and should be able to produce the files to have the missing pieces printed in stainless or brass. This unit is scheduled for delivery thing coming week, so I'll know more after it gets here.
You are going to 3D print the steam input bonnet in metal? The valve seat will most likely have to be cleaned up.

Even if you have never built a model engine before, you can learn how to do it.
Been there, done that.

There are lots of folks here who can walk you through the process.

We need pictures when your shipment arrives.

I would think those kits are getting quite rare these days.

Good luck.

Welcome to the group

Dave

You are lucky to get the partially built corliss and the drawings, lots of help here..
Welcome

You are going to 3D print the steam input bonnet in metal? The valve seat will most likely have to be cleaned up.
I'm a relative novice on Fusion 360, but here are the designs for the Throttle Valve Body and the Handwheel. My actual engine is hung up in shipping, but will hopefully be here this week. I'm going to wait until it gets here before I start placing the five mounting holes on each end. Note that these images are sized to "fit screen" - the handwheel is really not that large in comparison to the throttle valve body.

Attachments

• Throttle Body.png
    Throttle Body.png
    735.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Handwheel.png
    Handwheel.png
    646.2 KB · Views: 2
I'm a relative novice on Fusion 360, but here are the designs for the Throttle Valve Body and the Handwheel. My actual engine is hung up in shipping, but will hopefully be here this week. I'm going to wait until it gets here before I start placing the five mounting holes on each end. Note that these images are sized to "fit screen" - the handwheel is really not that large in comparison to the throttle valve body.
I have made one of these myself, howefer, I messed up on the threadds. The valve seat has to be done precisely and the valve done exactly right too. Actually, I need to make at least two more, as I have two of these Coles/Ray Corlisses. One I bought about 40 years ago which was not complete, altho, the old machinist I bouth it from said it was. It still has about 10-15% work to finish it including a complete throttle.

The other one, I bought as a kit in the 80's. I've been working on it recently having finished 40-60%. The most complex section is the governor--by far. The steam input valves are complex but mostly simple to make. the throttle is not all that complex but the body is not what I would call "straight forward" to make. Not to mention the valve, the parts that run the valve true and the bonnet need to be drilled precisely, that is, in place.

I'm told this is not a "beginner's" engine, I agree but it was my first one when I didn't know any better (in the dark ages before cruise control or the internet).

I'm wondering how you will print these parts with metal printers.

Latest posts

Back