New member from UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldigger

Reaction score
Hi I've been reading the forum for a while and also some of CNC zone..
I've found some really helpfull info especially on the flex of the Sieg X2 column on here.

I had no metal working experiance and wanted to make some lights for mountain biking, so i went to my local Axminster tools and came away with a Sieg SX2.

The SX2 comes with the belt drive conversion, 500w brushless motor and varible speed control.
IMAG0148.jpg

The first mod i did was to add DRO's to my X and Y axis, please ignore the vice in the pics below. That was one of my first buying mistakes, I now use a 3 inch precision tools maker vice as in the pic above.
IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

Here's some of the lights that I've made so far
P1010197.JPG

P1010198.JPG

IMAG0066.jpg

P1010125.JPG

IMAG0098.jpg

Thanks

Welcome GD - very tidy job on the lights!

Welcome to the forum, nice work on the lights!

Vic.

> please ignore the vice in the pics below. That was one of my first buying mistakes, I now use a 3 inch precision tools maker vice as in the pic above

Been there, seen that. :)
My 3" toolmaker vice came without side slots, too, and was 'temporarily' mounted on the mill like Your is. Five or six years later I finally got around machining some proper clamps to fit the holes on the sides. It took no more than half an hour of work: I wonder why I waited so long.
Marcello

Nice work on the lights, GD. Are those LED or incandescent? wEc1

Rudy

Cheers Guys, Rudy..
All my lights are led.. The ones with tripple leds have batttery monitoring and thermal protection. So if the light gets to hot it will drop it to a lower level.
Here's how bright the top one is..
P1010184LC13000MAH.jpg

GD,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Here's where I get the circuit boards.. George had different boards, you just pick the one that is suited to the max drive current for your leds. Choose a buck driver if your battery pack has a higher voltage than what the leds forward voltage is.
Boost driver if your battery has less voltage than the vf of the leds
http://www.taskled.com/
So in one of my lights I used cree xml leds which have a vf of about 3.3volts and a max drive current of 3amps. My battery pack is a RC lipo pack 14.8v 5800mah.
So I used the H6flex driver as it allows me to set my max current to 3 amps and reduces the voltage to the correct vf of the leds

The two small lights use 3 up xpg boards from here, there leds engines - driver and leds combined
http://lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content/products/light_engines&_sx=0&_sy=6

Anyway maybe you know all this already..

Goldigger said:
Cheers Guys, Rudy..
All my lights are led.. The ones with tripple leds have batttery monitoring and thermal protection. So if the light gets to hot it will drop it to a lower level.
Here's how bright the top one is..
P1010184LC13000MAH.jpg

Those lights are better than my car lights :eek: ;D
Thanks for sharing.

Rob......

Latest posts

Back