New member from Minneapolis

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siren

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I made a post, then figured I better introduce myself. I really have very little machining experience. I've been playing around for a couple of years, but have finally gotten close to finishing up a space in the garage to get really started. I'm amazed at the craftsmanship shown here. Whatever your style or aesthetic, you can really find a shining example here. I've been lurking for many months and have learned so much, that I am really grateful already to this group.

Brad

Welcome Brad,
Happy you decided to come out of the shadows and join the fun. So what are your interests as far as modeling goes once you get your shop space set up.

If you been lurking for months, then you already know how we like pictures, and that goes for your shop set-up as well :)

Regards,
Bill

welcome Brad, there is a great bunch of people on this site i hope you enjoy it as much as i have Thm: Thm:

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Bill, funny you should ask... Right now I'm working on Elmer's #25. I plan to do a few more of those. I have ordered the Simplex and ME-1 mill engine plans and would like to get those under my belt before the end of the year.

My primary motivation is a life-long fascination with engines and how they work. I've never been able to really indulge that interest due to school, work, and now little kids. I really just want to make interesting things (engines) and learn about engines and machining in general. I think I'll stick with steam-type engines and maybe a hot air type engine as well for now. IC is in the plans, but not for a couple of years (best laid plans of mice and men...).

Hi Brad,

Elmer's #25 you say? That was my first go at a simple engine as well, built as I set up my A2Z Monster Mill in August 2009. I dare say it worked out just fine.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcOpUwI-v70[/ame]

My only advice as another beginner is to take it slow and be prepared to remake a part or two if you are temped to live with a piece that isn't as good as you wanted.

Oh, and remember the valving will only allow the engine to go one way. I spent a minute or two after finishing mine flipping the flywheel backwards and wondering why it wouldn't run.

Thayer

Another Welcome wEc1 from another in Minnesota.

Western Suburbs (Minnetonka) for me.

Jim in Minnesota

Sorry Brad, I didn't make the connection. Best wishes on all your projects and getting the shop set up too :)

Bill

Mike and Jim, thanks for the welcome (along with everyone else). I'm in the Northern suburbs, technically. Winter is the time I expect to spend the most time. Have a heated garage and have dedicated 2/3 of one stall to my shop. Also an avid cyclist (bicycle) and have brazed a frame or two, along with repairs, in that space. Summer is for cycling (at least in MN).

Bill, didn't expect you to put it together. Just thought it was a funny coincidence. :big:

Thayer, I've seen your video. Nice workmanship. I hope to achieve as good. Already making the frame for the second time as I broke a tap in the base. Don't really want to "make it work", as part of my desire is to figure out how to achieve the precision I want the first time. I have already learned a good lesson on the second attempt at the frame (hole in the wrong place)--make notes about the cutting steps. I've heard people mention it, but until you screw it up, it doesn't quite have the same meaning...

thanks again everyone.

Welcome siren, it's good to have another Minnesota member.
I'm up in the Brainerd area. Let me know if you ever get up in the neighborhood.

Brad,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back