New guy in Wisconsin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My dad was an antique tractor nut so as a kid I spend lots of time admiring some really cool home made hit and miss engines at various antique shows around the Rochester MN area. I took all the machine shop classes I could in high school and summer school, worked at a machine shop for a few years and missed making chips so here I am.

I'm a currently unemployed mechanical engineer that is having fun setting up a little machine shop at home in my now considerable free time. Last summer I picked up an old Bridgeport that was lightly used, but heavily neglected and dissembled. Now the mill its working great and just a week ago I unexpectedly won a new 9x20 lathe on eBay.

Once I get the lathe tooled up I will be starting some type of little billet engine just for fun. I've only spent an hour or two on this site so far, but I can tell there is a ton of great info and interesting people here, great site hope I can contribute in some way.

Thanks
Jon

Welcome to HMEM Jon.

I like your into.
I am an antique engine collector, and an unemployed machinist.
I still love restoring and playing with the old engines, and I'm enjoying
the machining craft more now than I have in the past 25 years.

Have fun, be safe and we'd love to see pictures of those machines!

Rick

Gearhead,

Welcome to HMEM. wEc1

Where in Wiscony you from? I too have a 9x19 "20". There's a bunch of guys on here also with the same stuff you got. So ask any questions that you may have.

I grew a mud duck myself, over in Benson, MN

If your a mechanical engineer, boy I'm glad your here. You may be getting a few PM's from this newbie inventor.

Welcome, Matt

Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum. Like Matt said you'll find good company here. Its a caring and sharing place.

Mines a 9 x 20 too. No Bridgeport though, steps down to the shop are too tight and steep.

-MB

Jon,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to the forum Jon.
I'm surprised no one's said it yet...but we love pics...and videos!
Lots of fun here. Enjoy.

Hey jon
wEc1 aboard love to see some pics

Ken

Hey welcome aboard Jon, where in Wisconsin are you? Also, you are correct in your statement that this is a cool place to hang out and I'm sure that you will find the company both entertaining as well as talented. Tell us a little more about what engine(s) you may have in mind.

regards

BC1
Jim

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I'll get some pics this weekend of my little "home away from home".

I'm interested in way too many things so you will no doubt see some of my other hobbies in the background of the pics. I'm near Elkhorn, about 60 miles SW of Milwaukee.

The current machine shop project has been to disassemble, clean, and adjust the Jet 920W lathe. It was "new" but in a damaged container so unknown if it was complete when I bid on it. It looks like I'm only missing one of the allen wrenches and the stand was gone so far a good deal I think. The spindle bearings were loose, there is what looks like foundry sand in most nooks and crannies, and it all needs fine tuning (as expected for what I call a "kit" lathe like this). I need to fabricate a stand and chip / splash pan for the lathe. Right now it is still sitting on the shipping base on top of my toolbox. Next will be the four bolt base plate to stiffen up the wimpy "top slide" attachment.

As far as an engine, I'm not sure yet. Most likely I will do either a flame licker or a solenoid engine first. Eventually I want to make a slow running hit and miss but that will be down the road awhile. I have 12 & 13 yr old boys to teach so first ones need to be simple to keep them interested.

Yeah, I know where you are located, you are NW of Lake Geneva just off of I-43. I've been through that area a few times in the past few years. I hope your boys stay interested in this hobby of ours. May I suggest either the EZ engine or The Pug for a first, I think the boys would enjoy either one.

best regards

BC1
Jim

The shop build started in 2005 with just the shell 40Lx40Wx14H with electricity. We got a concrete floor including about 1350 feet of pex tubing in 6 loops in 2006. The steel ceiling was up, OSB inner walls and all insulated 2007. In 2008 I built a 8x12 loft, put the air compressor up and finished the radiant floor heat up on the loft so last winter was the first year with heat. 2009 brought copper air lines with 6 drops and the start of the machine shop collection.

The mill was a $800 Craig's List find, all disassembled in a barn about 20 miles from home. I got lucky since I couldn't hear it run or check anything out. The owner said It was never a production machine, just a "tool room" mill for most of it's life and after being inside of it I now believe him. The ways and gibs have some viable wear from grease being used rather then oil, but the spindle is tight and quiet, very little slop in the lead screw nuts (about .007 both directions end to end after splitting and adjusting). Table has some scratches and gouges but not horrible. It came with a Dayton 110 volt variable speed motor adapted to it already, not sure about HP since the plate is missing, but guessing either 1/2 or 3/4. I also have the 3 phase original motor as well. The automatic quill feed was bound up, but just needed cleaning and adjusting. I wanted to make sure everything was ok before spending time painting. The smoothing clay is loose and flaking on all the castings so it will be a big job to make it look nice. Someday...

The lathe is now clean, debured and adjusted. When I got it the spindle was loose. Everything still had nasty burrs from machining and there was lots of fine grit everywhere. Once I got the spindle cleaned, lubed, and adjusted, then the drive gears were just barely engaged making a nasty wine in both forward and a little less in reverse. I adjusted the swing of the shifting mechanism to get proper tooth engagement and it runs smooth and quiet now. Just for fun I took a cut with it right after unpacking and then again last night another after the full treatment. What a difference! I think it will work just fine.

shed driveway.JPG

manifolds 2.jpg

ugly mill.JPG

new addition.JPG

Latest posts

Back