New from the UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1618

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a new starter in the black art of miniature engine building. On reading through the site i have come to realise that my screen name is that of a engine, on looking at the peewee thread i have also realised that i will have to when skill levels allow make it. though that could be some time off yet.

About me, I am an IT Director who has been making model boats for some 15 years and in that time have always been intrested in the engineering side. time and funds now allow me the construction/conversion of a large enough workshop.
Also my future father-in-law gave me free a 1950's faircut junior lathe. I have found out allot of good information over the last year researching the hobby apart from 1 thing. how big a lathe and milling machine do you actually require. a 3 1/2 inch of say a 5 inch lathe? i am aware that most items machined are Small but clamping some castings must surly need space.

Looking forward to a great hobby.

regards
Ian

Hi Ian,

My opinion, you can do small work with a big lathe, but you can't do big work with a small lathe.

If your doing models such as these, a "3 1/2" or 7" lathe on this side of the pond, would do fine...but I wouldn't go smaller

My Opinion worth exactly what you paid for it

And Welcome!....jump on in the waters fine. ;D

Dave

Ian,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

I agree with Dave,

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Ian,

Welcome to HMEM.

Chuck

Hello and welcome Ian.

Does that mean you're going to build an engine and put it in a boat? I want to see that.

And yes...it's a great hobby.

Welcome aboard! I am a programmer by trade. Machining is great hobby!

The company I work for has a division in the UK. Have you ever heard of "KAB Seating". They make seats for industrial equipment and trucks.

HI All,

Thank you for the welcome,
Zeeprogrammer: not thought about it but sounds intresting, going back to old school which i like

Jadecy, sorry not heard of them, i did however used top work in the London office of Kao formally Jurgens of Cincinnati.

Ian

Hello Ian

Welcome to HMEM

Whereabouts in the UK are you?
I am in Grimsby Lincolnshire for my sins ;)

Andy

Welcome ian.
I think the general rule of thumb is get the biggest machines that you can
afford
have space for
Can haul without hurting yourself.
of course do not forget the other rulle of never turn down the gift of good vintage domestic machine tools
I think that Faircutlooks like a fine little lathe. there is a guy here IIRC Foozer that has done a lot with his little . Craftsman Dunlap
Tin

Ian,

Welcome. Dave gave great advice as well as Tin.

Bob

Hi Ian
yes you are right about pee wee being the name of an engine. I had a tiny ready to fly control lie aircraft about 30 years ago made of a flexible plastic called a little stinker and it was powered by a tiny glow plug motor that was known as a cox pee wee never did get the motor to run properly on more than one occasion it decided to run backwards usually at the time of launching good job it was almost crashproof
looking back it may be i was a little hamfisted with the engine adjustments. anyhow i hope you are going to enjoy the forum as much as i do been reading here for weeks but you gotta join to have your say ,enough rambling .
cheers Paul

Hi Ian, I hope you enjoy your new hobby! Tony Griffiths site lathes.co.uk is a great source of information on machine tools, and he reckons faircut was a high quality small lathe. John

Back