New from Melbourne Australia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruffy

Reaction score
Hi all have been lurking around here since I found the site about a week back from a link at Alloyavenue for Steve's Demon V8 (stunning work), so I had a look around here a bit further and am astonished at the amount of Aussies on here, so I thought I'd throw myself in the mix. I don't have any machinery as yet but am working on it (slowly). I'm really playing with the idea of making my own Lathe but have still got a lot to learn with casting before I even try. I have done some courses in machining and welding,but haven't been near a machine in a while ( I hope its like riding a bike).

thanks for the introduction: when I started out I also dreamed of building a lathe . I chickened out and purchased the biggest and best I could afford at the time IIRC $350 for a grizzly 7 x 10.
that being said lathes can be made from scratch . casting is one fabrication method you can use weldments or work from standard stock sizes.
this one is pretty impressive.

Prison camp Lathe made in WW2 Japanese prison
Tin

Hi Scruffy, welcome to the site. Which suburb do you live in? Made a wood lathe from scratch once, but a metal lathe is a lot more work. How big are you planning to make it?

Paul.

Hi Scruffy,
Welcome to the forum. There are a set of books by Dave Gingery on how to build your own lathe, shaper, mill, etc. starting with your own foundry. When I got started in this hobby I bought his books and built the lathe, shaper, and most of the mill. With some work and learning how the machines behaved I got to where I was pretty accurate with them. I really learned a lot in the process and have the scars to prove it. :)

However, one day I realized I didn't want to build tools I wanted to use tools to build things. So I bought a HF mini-lathe and mini-mill. The mill I converted to cnc (still building tools, darn). I found this to be a good approach and am much happier.

Pat

Hi Paul, thanks for the welcome I'm in Dandenong, not too sure on size as yet. Im looking at some other ideas other than the Gingery, once Ive made some decisions on materials I'll look at sizing, that being said its not going to be enormous, maybe 18 inch between centers

G;day Scruffy and welcome to the forum, good to see the link on AloyAvenue steered you over for a look. Certainly a lot of quality projects to keep you reading for awhile.

Dandenong is pretty close to me, here at Rye on the Mornington Peninsula.

Eddie

Scruffy, I'm another Aussie Noob. I've got the lathe but it is in pieces right now but I will have it back together as soon as some parts turn up from the US. I've given a fair bit of thought about upgrading my lathe/mill when I get it back together. If you can live with a lathe that does not do imperial threads ( I can) I would take home a Hare & Forbes AL-250G which are on special at the moment.
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L149

If I bought a separate mill, I'd probably get a Seig x3. I generally buy stuff from Hare and Forbes because they are only 10 minutes from home, always seem to have spares and usually give me a bit of a discount cos I have spent a bit with them.

I'd love to go a bit bigger but don't have the room.

Hi Rod,
Looks great but a little out of my price bracket (thanks for the link though), I may have a lead on a ex high school machine that's been in storage for a while. But you know how these things work out sometimes, so I'm not holding my breath. If not I'll keep hunting. I've seen quite a few on eBay that go reasonably cheap. some need some work but that's the way they go sometimes. My old car needed love too. I'll keep on the hunt will get a bit more keen once the silly season has past

thinking about this one but Im not too sure

4234c0k_20.jpg

G'day Scruffy
I will be the first to admit I know very little about lathes, however there was a guy (Gypsytinkler) on AlloyAvenue, whom was looking at converting a ShopSmith into a metal lathe. It was the general consensuses, that the ways made from tube, like what you are considering, have to much flex and are not accurate enough for tolerance metal work. Others who have more experience than I, may be better to advise.
Spotted this one last night, and may be a better option, only prob, it's in Goulburn NSW.

that looks heaps better goulburn isnt too bad for me I work for the supplier for beaurepaires and the guys will usually help me out

Hi Rod. G'day.

Welcome from Singapore.
Space shouldn't be a big problem
I make do with a small lathe and a small vertical mill. My machineshop is the roof over the top and three open sided balcony----4' x 12' with three benches for lathe ,mill and work bench.

Gus

Hi Rod,
Looks great but a little out of my price bracket (thanks for the link though), I may have a lead on a ex high school machine that's been in storage for a while. But you know how these things work out sometimes, so I'm not holding my breath. If not I'll keep hunting. I've seen quite a few on eBay that go reasonably cheap. some need some work but that's the way they go sometimes. My old car needed love too. I'll keep on the hunt will get a bit more keen once the silly season has past

Scruffy, I paid $1k for mine off eBay. I watched quite a few go and went and looked at a smaller second hand Hafco lathe to the one I pointed you at and it went at close to new price. My problem was I needed to face 75-80 mm plastic blocks so I needed a fair sized chuck. The one I have is 5" and is quite a good size but my 160mm 4 jaw I fitted is even better. There does not seem to be many on eBay ATM. The 15% buyers premium on Grays will add up pretty quick, I'd be surprised if you get the Enco for under $1500 at which point you could buy new.

My parts arrived today and I grabbed a small 6t hydraulic press from Super Cheap today which was on special at half price for $100 so I should have my lathe back together by the weekend. Shame you are not a bit closer otherwise I'd be tempted to offer it to you as by the time it is back together with new spindle bearings and a few other worn parts fitted, it'll be almost like new!

Hi Rod. G'day.

Welcome from Singapore.
Space shouldn't be a big problem
I make do with a small lathe and a small vertical mill. My machineshop is the roof over the top and three open sided balcony----4' x 12' with three benches for lathe ,mill and work bench.

Gus

Thanks for the encouragement Gus. My space is similar 2.4m x 3.8m shed i built and I have my lathe/mill, drill press, bench grinder, 200 amp mig welder, band saw, welding table and a heap of other stuff and now a hydraulic press. I am going to cut out a section of shelving I put in when I built the shed so I can fit a wheeled tool chest to restore order to a jumble of tools. I could fit a small mill in if I turfed the drill press without radical surgery. Once I get my machine back together, I'll post some pics but its a bit of a mess right now.
DSC_2210.jpg

DSC_2174.jpg

I gotta put this back together!

DSC_5384.jpg

Yes I saw that as well, didn't want to tempt you to much, LoL.
Often see some small bench top lathe's in the country clearing sales, which do not get the traffic likes of Grays Online and are often cheaper. One I have had my eye on but will now, not be going, is in February at Euroa. Although they do not mention a lathe, there is one in the background, in several of the photo's. May be worth contacting the auctioneer to inquire, if you cannot make the auction, you could get them to bid for you via phone or you never know with the right offer it may not make auction.

Eddie

thats great where do you find this stuff if I havnt found anything Ill go have a look Thank you. You rock

edit: PS if we ever catch up I owe you a cold one Eddie

Keith

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back