Need Help with Teco FM50

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdp67

Reaction score
Can someone help me wire my new mill to the VFD please. I would like to use the Fwd-Off-Rev switch that is on the mill. Can not understand wiring diagram.

Thanks
Walt

Hello Walt,

Placement of the unit so that it receives proper ventilation should be the first thing to consider. Next would be the proper termination of the AC power being either three phase or two phase. This is spelled out in the manual. From what I can see in the drawings is that 12V. is supplied at terminal number 5 on that terminal strip located on the front of the unit. This can be run through the drum switch you are wanting to use, and depending on which direction you wish the motor to rotate, gets connected to terminal 3 for forward and terminal 4 for reverse. If you are unsure of how to perform the proper hook ups, it might be a good idea to contact a licensed electrician to do the work.

BC1
Jim

I've hooked up a few FM50's. There's a couple different ways to set the fwd/rev wiring based on the type of switch you have. If it's a drum switch that also controlled power, it will probably be different than if there's a separate fwd/rev switch from the power switch. What kind of wiring does your mill switch have?

I removed the drum type switch, and made a bracket that screws onto the mill where the original switch was to hold the VFD. It is only an 1 1/4 wide so I should not have any trouble with airflow. I made the bracket long enough so that it is away from the machine far enough that I can still reach the brake.

I would by new switches if that is what I need to do, just need a little guidance on what to get and how to do it.

Does anyone here use one of these on their Bridgeport, if so what setting do you guys use on the VFD, Mine seems to work ok with the factory defualts but I am in the process of building a drawbar for it, so I have not been able to put a load on the spindle, except for trying to slow it down with my hand.

Thanks
Walt

"....... slow down with your hand!!!!!!??????????" Don't be doing that! Your VFD has provisions for electronically slowing and stopping the motor after shutoff at the power switch. Perhaps I mis-understand what you are saying.

BC1
Jim

I was not stopping it with my hand, just saying until I get the draw bar done, I have no way of actually putting a load on the spindle.

Walt

Back