Need help with determing thread size for a mini-lathe spider?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMS

Reaction score
I need to make a spider for my 7x14 mini-lathe. The spindle has male threads and two spanner nuts. I am by no means a machinist so I need some help determining how to select the correct gears but I don't even know what the thread size this is. I took some basic measurements. Does anyone know what thread type this is?

Thanks.

spider_Thread.jpg

Assuming that it is a Metric I would guess it is a 38mm x 1.5 thread. Usually you can subtract the Pitch from the Major Dia and that would be the " Tap drill size" which would be 36.5mm or 1.437" That does not match with the 1.006" you have on your sketch. Where did the 1.006 dim come from? I also and not sure what a " spider " is ? Mike

Hey Mike,

The 1.006" was the measurement I took from the inside of the spanner nut, so I am guessing this would be the [SIZE=-1]Minor Diameter [SIZE=-1]of the [/SIZE]Female Th[SIZE=-1]read[SIZE=-1]??

[SIZE=-1]Robert[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

I need to make a spider for my 7x14 mini-lathe. The spindle has male threads and two spanner nuts. I am by no means a machinist so I need some help determining how to select the correct gears but I don't even know what the thread size this is. I took some basic measurements. Does anyone know what thread type this is?

Thanks.

Here's a drawing of the mini lathe spindle at LMS:

www.littlemachineshop.com/products/drawings/1341Spindle7x12.pdf

It says the thread you are looking for is M27 x 1.5. I have made a spider to that thread and it fits my Micromark 7x14.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!

@bb218 Mike I did your formula subtracting 1.094" Maj. Dia. (a calculated guess) from .058" and got 26.3mm and a 26.25mm tap drill equals an M27 x 1.5" so thanks to both you guys -Rob

Update:

I set up my gears to cut at 18 TPI and so far so good. It goes on easy at half way then starts to get really snug with about another 3/16" to go; so I think it will work and its made from aluminum so if the threads are not perfect it should deform and be OK if not I will have to make a 1/8" thick washer.

RMS, Little Machine Shop website also has a reference area that has a gear selection app. It will show you what gears you need for what thread you want to turn.
Why would you turn an 18tpi thread for the spider if the spindle has a metric M27 x 1.5 thread? What brand lathe do you have? As you state it's 7 x 14, I asume it's a MicroMark.

Chuck

Well not knowing much about machining I just put a rule over the top of the spindle and counted the threads per inch; looked like it was 18 TPI to me. I will look at the link, thanks.

Thanks! Its an OK lathe for the average Joe like me. I am making an accessory part called a "spider" use to hold up a long shaft that extends out the back side of the spindle hole. I next have to drill and tap 4 holes that will be used to center the shaft and keep it from wobbling around.

Hi,if the 1.006 and 0.058 are correct then the 1.480 must be incorrect
To obtain the thread size,you must know the OD,the PITCH and the thread form
Regards barry

to do metric threads on a true inch lathe you need a transposition gear IIRC 9 tooth LMS or MM sells them.
Tin

Back