Need assistance posting up pics in posts please

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcar1

Reaction score
It has occurred to me that posts I have done in the past containing pictures were done so as a file that the reader was required to click on in order to view it. As I read other's posts, I realize now that their pictures open automatically and the image is displayed as part of the message itself and not as a stand-alone file. So. What procedures do I need to do in order to provide this feature comfort to other members here that read my rambling ???

Make sense? I hope so. ;D

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim,
I am not real good on computers but if you need a host, Glacern machinery will host it for free with no limit. I notice that photo bucket images sometimes do not appear as you only have a certain amount of usage before having to upgrade to pro or something.
You will have to copy the web addresses after uploading and keep it in a safe place,as I don't think they can be retrieved any other way because there is no registration or login.
Dave

Photo Bucket is a great, free picture hosting site.
If you post videos there and add them to posts on multiple forums
there is a slim chance of exceeding their free bandwidth per month limits.

If you need help or have any questions about Photo Bucket just PM me.

Rick

Jim,

You are going down the correct route. By using a hosting site, and just putting the links into your posts, it really helps to take a lot of pressure off this website. This site won't have an unlimited storage capacity for people to put their pictures into, and eventually it will get full up if everyone used the 'additional items' for putting their pictures up on display.

I cannot recommend photobucket enough, I have been a free member for a few years and have many thousands of pictures stored on there, and only now am I getting the message that things are getting a little tight on bandwidth usage. Maybe that is a reminder I need to reach into my pocket.

It really is very easy. Upload up your pics to photobucket, copy the link of the pic you want, paste the link into your post. Job done.

Blogs

I could not count the times I have been reading a really good post and have found no pictures as the bandwidth has been exceeded because too many people looked at the picture, or the account has been closed.
I know it uses up the sites storage, but at least the pictures stay there for years to come for people to see, and don't disappear.
Dave
Glacern also host video's, might be worth a look if your getting a little tight on bandwidth usage with photo bucket.

Dave,

I understand your concern over the pictures being there, I had a stupid accident a while ago and lost most of my piccies on photobucket, can't happen now though, and if that is the way you need to go, then do as I do if I ever need to go that way, and skin the pic down yourself to a decent size, I can usually get mine to less than 100kb, but only sometimes they have to be between 100 and 200kb. Unlike some people who put the largest picture they can into 'on site' storage.

But you have to admit, having the picture within the text makes the post a lot easier to read and understand.

The other point is, surely, if you do come to a stage where your free photo account is getting overloaded, then it is a small price to pay to upgrade it for a little bit of cash, for getting your pics onto this site.
Why should Rick have to pay up front for us storing on HIS site, when for a few bucks, we can help this site from becoming overloaded, and Rick having to buy more storage space.

As for vids, I find that any of the pic hosting sites are just too slow. Sometimes it can be many minutes before the hosting site has buffered enough to start viewing. I usually end up cancelling the viewing slot and don't bother. I find Youtube much faster, being dedicated to video rather than photos, but you do sometimes have to put up with silly brain dead comments, but there is always the delete button. That should be free forever.

Blogs

Blogs,
I am not trying to tell anyone to put photo's on this site, as I put up the Glacern's site to host them for Jim. In my opinion, I just see so many photo's deleted from photo bucket from closed/overloaded accounts which can make a post useless now, and in the future.
Also I think if the'additional items' was a problem it wouldn't be there, or Rick would remove it all together and only allow photo's hosted else were.
I am not comparing photo bucket to Glacern, I just gave a link to a host that requires no registration and no logins which might appeal to some people. As long as the pictures are relevant to machining and manufacturing there is no limit from what I can see.
http://www.glacern.net/
All the best Dave

Dave, I think you took my words the wrong way, and it wasn't meant to infer you were doing anything wrong.

I was just explaining the way things work. Unfortunately nothing is written in stone, and everyone has the right to withdraw or let lapse any of their photos, or even going in and deleting their own posts, including the pics in the articles stored on site.

Even Rick can't guarantee that all the photos will be there forever, and what is to stop the site you put up going belly up sometime in the future?

All I am saying is, that by using a dedicated picture hosting site and a dedicated video site, the posts do look better and make things more logical to understand when everything is embedded. Plus by people not minding paying a little out of their own pocket (which I will be doing very soon with my photobucket account), they can take a lot of the storage pressure off, not only this site, but any other site that they use.

I personally use a lot of pics in my posts, maybe sometimes too many, but if I tried to use site storage, with the limit of four pics, then my posts just couldn't be done, because they would be so disjointed, and split into so many parts, that they would be very difficult for me to post them and anyone to understand them, and I suppose a lot more people who do embed, wouldn't be able to do their great write ups as well.

The way I look at it for myself, for passing over a quickie bit of info, such as a sketch or a small PDF, then yes, I do use onsite storage, but for everything else, I sort my own storage and embed whatever and however many into the post.

Blogs

Gentlemen, ::) I thank you all for the educational and spirited responses. I have now several options at my disposal including one or two offers from individuals to host the pictures that are associated to my posts. Good points have been talked about that a lot of users most likely do not even think about in terms of size, (there is a time and a place for mega-hires photos but usually the standard size suits our daily needs). This fact alone would account for a higher percentage of storage space being consumed at a given site than the number of pics a member decides to post up. (size DOES matter ;D) As far as the small pittance that some sites will/do require, well as far as I am concerned that would depend upon a few other factors such as the number of items that I will be storing and also the contents of same. If a fee were being charged and for some reason or other my pics that were related to a given build or setup were to get sent into the great unknown (lost or deleted from one of these remote storage sites) it would be a shame in that the text portion would become much less effective to anyone reading it but the world would not stop revolving if that unfortunate act of God occurred. However, if that same site were to "lose" ones first born child baby pictures or wedding photos (as if anyone would be stupid enough to use such a site as primary storage in the first place) THAT would be catastrophic to say the least. All of my photos are backed up on other media such as memory sticks and/or CDs for that very reason. I am all for using whatever means necessary to ease the bandwidth usage from this site in order for Rick not to have to pay any fees or penalties that might be incurred due to us having been pigs at the trough so to speak. The number of photos that I will most likely be posting would be miniscule in the big scheme of things, my main question was what procedures I needed to follow in order to make my presentations more fluid and thus making them more interesting and pleasant to view. I'm still 'struggling' with the steps involved with the entire procedure but am sure that it is easy and once I have successfully done it a couple of times, it'll be something new I have learned. :bow: Once again, I thank you all for your inputs.

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back