N1 nano lathe mods (WIP)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxotnik

Reaction score
This pair of Nanos were setup as micro-drilling station. As shown below, one in the vertical (mill/drill) config, the other in horizontal (lathe) configuration; both permanently affixed to the table top. These little machines were quite handy for micro-drilling operations, e.g. drilling holes on very small metal shafts, etc. One of the two, the one that is configured as a lathe, has been modified slightly. The original noisy timing belt has been replaced by a watchmaker's lathe type drive belt. A handwheel was made and affixed to the main spindle, making tapping operation more convenient. A vertical slide was also adapted to the cross slide; later-on will make further additions, e.g. tool-post drill/grinder, etc. Perhaps a dental-burr affixed to the verticle slide -- fits in nicely.

154623ku8ewtrkatj4atwi.jpg

155559h9185x6wfwc0i5u9.jpg

155003g4u436onz44uieq3.jpg

155014uyetlrvffcjpl2to.jpg

154927km3q8z1qpm50tpm0.jpg

154940x56o65o3te26eej9.jpg

154952d7rhebrqpbeqsrqq.jpg

155546i4l6l51f6id3tf1d.jpg

155617zfafzdzd5axlofsj.jpg

They would be perfect for the kitchen counter or maybe the corner of the living room. I would have said the bedroom but if I can remember correctly, and this is going back a long time, there are other tools best suited for the bedroom!

Do you have anything you have made with them?

John

Do you have a good feel with the drill press configuration? That is with rather small drill bits. I'm just not convinced that the lever driven spindle would give the feed back required.

How do you find using them?

Spindle was quite nice, with 0.005mm run out. These are used essentially as special-purpose one-pass drilling rigs, with purpose made jigs. For concentric drilling and reaming operations on small rod-shaped parts, these are quite efficient. I don't find them particular useful for general purpose machining.

They would be perfect for the kitchen counter or maybe the corner of the living room. I would have said the bedroom but if I can remember correctly, and this is going back a long time, there are other tools best suited for the bedroom!

Do you have anything you have made with them?

John

Presently these machines are used just for drilling and reaming, no turning or milling. Reaming 1mm through-hole in a 2mm diameter brass part, etc. Later on, I am planning to add a dental drill to the tool post vertical slide; along with the spindle index add-on, this might open up additional machining possibilities.

The lever actuated tail stock is quite good. It essentially works the same as Sherline's SDA (sensitive drill attachment), allowing for very direct sense of feedback, which is particularly helpful when drilling small holes. It easily drills 0.5mm diameter holes down to 5mm depth in e.g. brass.

Do you have a good feel with the drill press configuration? That is with rather small drill bits. I'm just not convinced that the lever driven spindle would give the feed back required.

Latest posts

Back