N.A.M.E.S. 2013 And historic boiler and steam course

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Set up will start this afternoon @ the Yack, there are 11 people signed up for the steam course. 44 vendors have reserved table and both space for this year. Both exhibitors,vendors, please read and review the changes in the rules for this year.

I am on the road headed to NAMES, now between York and Grizzly. Todays visits to Grizzly and the Piper Aircraft Musuem.

Do you know if they really plan to prohibit vendors from selling on Friday once they are setup and ready? If so, what possible logic is behind that? Are they just trying to fully tick off the vendors and exhibitors that remain. At Cabin Fever the 100+ vendors were doing brisk sales all day Friday.

All I know is that the politico's were drooling at the possibility of getting rent for a couple more days. As I have said I am a VOLUNTEER, I think it was more about all the people and the money they say change hands on Thursday! It looked like the show was in full swing. The exhibitor rules have explained it. If you have other question contact a board member or Mike Danko.

I think it is only fair to everyone that the sales start at the start of the show on Saturday.

I'll be on them road early tomorrow morning from Texas. Seems I'll be spendng some time driving in the rain, but the weather reports I've seen promise nice weather for the show.

I'll be setting up in Friday, but am not ticked off about waiting until Saturday to sell stuff. I hope everyone enjoys the show.

Maury
www.lonestarengineworks.com

Progress, on the set up is moving along. Pipe was laid out on the tables this afternoon so we are moving at a good pace. The people attending the steam class were looking happy as the headed to lunch this afternoon.

Air lines are up and tested, Vendors and exhibitors started to arrive around 3pm to place their stuff under the tables. Will be moving some in tonight and of course tomorrow. The show is a go!

Well it's finally here!

The car is packed up and I'm ready to go down to setup. The V8 has a new set of plugs so it will never start. Peewee is always ready. The compressor and straight 8 are loaded. This year I will be helping Rick with his aluminum casting demo. We will have a CNC lathe and mill running both days.

It's like Christmas for adults. I think I slept 3 hours last night.

Compressor Engine is sweet, and the engines sound great idling looks to be another great show for your engines! Plus it looks good on the plaque and pin!

Hey Dave,

Not sure I can do both shows so close together, which seems to be the comments from many others.

I hope you do keep Cabin Fever and N.A.M.E.S. close together, I am hoping to be there next year and the ability to attend both shows is a big drawcard. Just one more year guys, just one more please.

Jim

N.A.M.E.S. Has no plans to change dates. Since they are a not for profit group. Cabin Fever is a FOR PROFIT, they moved their dates for business Reasons. They will do what they think is best for them, but since securing the venue is a multi year commitment, I think you are safe for next year. Unless something unforeseen happens. Look forward to seeing you at the Yack next year.

Thanks Glen, if I am going to do it, I have to do it while I can still afford the travel insurance.

Jim

I think it is only fair to everyone that the sales start at the start of the show on Saturday.

I'm not exactly a businessman but that makes no sense at all. One attraction with respect to Cabin Fever is that I can go to the auction, maybe score something there and then see what the vendors have at reasonable prices. All of this without the massive crowds. Further it is a buy / sell environment, if I suddenly decide that I don't need something garnered at the auction there is the possibility of selling before the main event.

Beyond all of that the sales often aren't the bargains they seem to be. Any good deals are usually gone within an hour. As such there really isn't a concept of fair, it is first come first served.

I'm not exactly a businessman but that makes no sense at all.

What part of the city government said if there are sales and people milling about. They will charge RENT for the days. The N.A.M.E.S Show is SATURDAY and SUNDAY! Friday is set up day for the vendors and exhibitors. Thursday is still setting tables air lines etc for the show.

It was to bad that a couple of idiots last year had to make a big deal of hollering for change for a Benjamin and flashing money around when the mayor and some other of the cities politico's were walking around. Since they are like most cities, are in need of fresh revenue.

I doubt that neither the vendors or the exhibitors would like an increase in fees to cover the rental for two additional days. As with a lot of things in life a few people spoil it for the rest.

The other thing that some also don't understand is Cabin Fever is a FOR PROFIT BUSINESS. They do not have to operate under the rules for NON profit groups! plus they are located in PA. N.A.M.E.S. Is located in Michigan, and the state has some of the tightest non profit rules in the country.

As for the show today, had a great turn out weather was dry, windy and on the chilly side. The seminars were well attended. Steve's engine is a hit!
Attendance was to the point that it was packed in front of some vendors and displays while people waited to get closer.
Everything went off with out any major snags. It was wrapped up for the night and everybody is looking forward to tomorrow

Cabin Fever has booked and announced their dates for the next 4 years. I believe Names has also announced several years. Next year there will be 2 weeks between the shows because Easter falls on April 20.

The sales on Friday was one of the dumber rulesI have heard, fortunately it was not enforecd and buying seemed to go on about as in previous years on Friday. If I were a vendor I would be mad as hell for not allowing sales. Sales lost that day dont necessarily come back- the exhibitors are busy on Saturday showing their models, not out shopping.

It was a good day today, It felt more crowded than Cabin Fever, but then the hall is less than half the size- 30k sq ft vs 74K, so things are more spread out at CF.

Ill be back tomorrow for a while, but I have 900 miles, about 15 hours to go, so Ill be on the road about noon.

The show is a wrap, for another year. Attendance was up on both days for exhibitors and the people through the doors. Weather was good but on the chilly side Saturday.
The sun was shinny and with no threat of bad weather on Sunday afternoon most exhibitors stayed closer to the end of the show. Steve's engine was a great hit.
Most of the vendors said that their business up some and better than last year. And the exhibitors, other than a couple seemed to enjoy themselves and hand a great time talking to the people about they work.
We tore down the set up and the doors closed on the trailers @ 7:06pm last night. a new record for getting out of the arena. Thanks to all the people that helped with the set up and tear down. And hope everyone had a safe drive home.
Can't wait for Errol's photo's and he was a happy camper as he one one of the door prizes!
Will be posting the flyer for the 2014 show back at the Yack later in the day.

Back