Mystery Part

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

MiscParts_04.jpg

MiscParts_06.jpg

MiscParts_07.jpg

I have no idea what it might have been. Anyone seen anything like it before?

Kermit

Looks like maybe the bottom plate for a die...where did ya find it?

Dave

I'd say it was a jig

Looks like a piece of wood and from the pattern on the end it looks like it was used for engine turning or jeweling.

If you are wondering what engine turning is here's a link Engine Turning.

Bernd

There was a company wide "cleaning day" and this piece was placed on the scrap shelf. It is NOT wood. I picked it up and carried it to my car, it's about 25 or 30 pounds. There are two screws holding the top piece on. If you look at the close up you can make them out.

Since the majority of the parts we make are for jet engine test stands or valves for RL10 rocket motors, it is probably a jig used by the machinist for some part we no longer make. Thanks for pointing out the possibility of it being a jig. I was trying to think of what PART it was or how it was assembled, but it makes more sense that it is a jig. Explains why I don't recognize it, I recognize everything we make.

Looks like it may have been part of an assembly tool or possibly a fixture. The individual who made it obviously took an extra step or two to either eliminate sharp edges or improve the appearance, evidenced by the radiused edges. The engine turning may have ended up there as a result of it's use though, as it doesn't appear to cover the entire surface.

Whatever it was, it appears to be of no use for it's intended purpose and is now waiting to be recycled into engine parts.

The drawback to using old tools as material sources is that you never can be quite sure what is was made of. We used to build jigs and fixtures out of whatever was left in the material rack whether it was marked or not. It could be anything from 1018 to 4140 to A2. It will definitely be usable, as long as you don't intend to heat treat it. Just start out on the low side of your cutting speeds, your end mills will thank you for it.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back