My new ride!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"......everyone forgets how to drive!
The number of vehicles you see in the ditch on the side of the highway is crazy!!
Black ice is a big contributor for these events!
And the funny thing is they warn you on all the radio stations to slow down and be careful..."

YUP!
:big:

I live in the Seattle region. it rains more than half the year. yet, if we have rain one day, then a nice sunny day, and the next day it rains - everyone forgot how to drive in the rain. It is standard practice in this area, apparently, that when you see the FIRST drop of rain hit your windshield, SLAM on the brakes, cut your speed at least in half, and turn the windshield wipers to full speed. Never-mind the ground isn't even wet yet, and it's barely even sprinkling...

Snow is worse, we get it a few days a year in my particular area, but when it does snow it sticks around for a week or two. People seem to think it's better to *speed up* in the snow, and make sudden moves.

Driving on snow is like walking on ice in sneakers. Make no sudden changes, and you'll be fine. Nobody seems to get this.

- Ryan

Me & my co driver were the 1970 SCCA pro rally champions. One year Stig Boomqvist was at the P.O.R in Michigan. At that time he was a several time world champ. FWD was just coming in at that time except for Saab who already had it for years. We asked him which was better, front or rear drive. His answer, neither is better, they're just different. About 2 years later John Buffum showed up with his (at that time) $40,000 Audi Quattro. That's when the "pro series" died.

Living in the Pennsylvania mountains, I prefer Jeeps.

The 2011 Jeep Compass I own will hydroplane very easily with it's short wheelbase and
and fat foot print for it's weight.
It does great in snow but when it comes to ice, you are better off to disable
the automatic traction control and just drive at a safe speed.

And then, there are the Invincible 4WD Owners who can go anywhere on ice because
THEY own a 4WD.

Four Wheel Drive is great for getting you going, but it doesn't a bit of good for getting
you STOPPED! :D

Rick

Back