My little book on building my engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add a bit more joy to your day Bog's. I just got back from a weeks vacation. Figuring it would rain at least a few times I decided to take your build manual mentioned above with me. As it turned out it rained at least a couple of hours each day so I got to read the complete manual. I found it a great write with well detailed explanation of how to do everything and a sense of humor. Excellent write on a twin piston steam engine.

Now, having a place on a river one needs a model steam boat since the 1000 Islands area grew up on steam powered launches. The only question will be "when" will this engine be built. A couple of minor questions would be "what size boiler and what size boat?" I'm sure you can give me a bit of a hint on that, right? ;)

Also I've seen several mentions of a wobbler steam engine. Can you point me in the general direction of were I might find this info? Thanks.

Regards,
Bernd

Bogstandard said:
It just might be just a clash of cultures, whereby in the UK, most modellers would want their engines to do work, whereas I have noticed that the US modellers, on the whole are quite happy to just have a model that runs for display purposes only, in which case 90% of this engine could be made of totally unsuitable materials for running on steam, and so would inherently be a lot easier to make.

Steam power pretty much originated in the UK and there is a far longer tradition of using it to advantage there. This is reflected in the models where making them work is incidental to making them actually do something. We didn't invent steam engines in the US - they initially came from England - and, as Shred (I think) noted, we kind of got stuck on railroads and ignored pretty much everything else even though steam was all around us.

On the other hand, when I first moved to Pittsburgh, PA, steam was still quite active on the railroads and on the rivers, the latter pushing loads of coal and other materials to the various steel mills. There were still steam shovels around and more than a few steam donkey engines afoot. Outside the city some of the older oil wells were still using steam engines that burned crude oil and got water from a well or other handy source.

Of the riverboats, some turned screws, some turned split stern wheels and a very few had sidewheels ... maneuverable but not really a Good Thing if a barge got loose. There were also a couple showboats (repurposed packets) operating that used steam - I think until one of them blew up. The rest either converted to Diesel or went out of business. (Actually, they all went out of business eventually.)

The non-steam versions go to Noelle for safety reasons, hers and her dog's - 4-legged furry curiosity, playfulness and mischief who's all of 6.5 pounds fully grown. It's far safer for her to turn on a compressor or flick a switch for the electric ones than to fire up a boiler. Further, the engines themselves are being built to provide a degree of entertainment themselves due to a somewhat Rube Goldbergian approach to the designs but they can also be used to couple to other things for even more entertainment. Their purpose is to help take her mind off her illnesses and give her reason to smile, even if for just a little while.

For my own steam-type engines, I want to go back to what I remember - live steam. Many will be freelance rather than strict models and will be a bit whimsical in a number of ways but a few will be made from memory (granted, 50 year old memories) of some of the equipment from back then. The most interesting ones were the oil wells since each one was unique ... in more than a few ways. I'm thoroughly convinced some were designed/built by people who had put a bit too much Jamesons in their coffee - or just skipped the coffee part entirely. :D

I've thought about a model steam launch or paddle wheeler but the ocean would be fairly unforgiving about anything I could build in my apartment, and I'm not equipped to make anything large enough to power something that would survive. Something will come to mind, though. :)

Of course, a number of my alternate history electric engines are based on steam engine design but that's a separate issue.

Best regards,

Kludge

Bernd said:
Also I've seen several mentions of a wobbler steam engine. Can you point me in the general direction of were I might find this info? Thanks.

Regards,
Bernd

Hey Bernd... LMS has free plans for a wobbler HERE. It is also called an oscillating engine. There are a couple of versions in Elmer's book. You can find those Here

Eric

Brass_Machine said:
Hey Bernd... LMS has free plans for a wobbler HERE. It is also called an oscillating engine. There are a couple of versions in Elmer's book. You can find those Here

Eric

Thanks for the links Eric. I have Elmers book. I also have a 1979 Live Steam mag with Jan Gunarrosn(SP?) 4 cylinder oscillator that I think I might build for a boat engine.
The only reason I asked about the wobbler was that it had been mentioned along with Bog's name. Sounded to me like he designed one for boat use. Knowing his humorous writting style from his engine built from "junk" I thought this one would be nice to add to my collection.

Regards,
Bernd

Bernd,

I never did a write up about the oscillator.

The twin junk engine is in fact fairly frugal with the use of steam, and Sandy's boiler, in the downloads section would be ideal. Because of the long stroke, it will turn a good sized prop, say 3" to 4" 45degree steam prop. So a boat of over 4ft and up to 5ft should be ideal. The little oscillator is in fact just as powerful and will easily power a boat of the same size.

I make the oscillators for keeping the workshop going during hard times. So maybe, because I am now broke, I will be making another batch. I will catalogue it as I do it, if there is an interest. But it will not be pretty, as I will use the best resources available to myself (time and costs come into it). So it might not be the same sort of build you are used to seeing.

John

Actually John, I wasn't thinking of a boat to ride in but a model boat. Didn't realize that your engine could power a 4 foot boat. :eek:

I like your write up on that oscillator. Looked like a nice project. Ran very nicely too. I think I have those plans some were on my disk, for the oscillator. But a write up from you going through the build process would be nice. So I'll put one vote in for another Bogstandard build manual. ;D (when you get the time of course)

Regards,
Bernd

Bernd,

These are pictures of one of my customers boats, showing one of the little oscillators installed. This boat is well over 4ft maybe towards 5ft long.

John

Pandora.jpg

Pandora 2.jpg

John,

Do those beautiful launches incorporate a boiler feed pump? If so, how is it driven?
If not, how do they avoid running with a dry boiler?

Bogstandard said:
These are pictures of one of my customers boats, showing one of the little oscillators installed. This boat is well over 4ft maybe towards 5ft long.

Maybe on the lanai ... yeah, possibly it might have enough room to build something cool. Need a bit more freeboard, though. And I'd have to watch out for dolphins; they tend to think things in the ocean are theirs to play with. :)

That is a beautiful model, John. She looks tight and able, to be sure.

I'd also be interested in seeing how you put the wobbler together. For as simple as they are, there is a lot that can be done with them to make them interesting.

Best regards,

Kludge

Marv,

Some do, some don't.

Most that have them run from a small eccentric on the end of the crankshaft, and are like a mini oscillator, but because they are driven, they can be used for pumping water, or if you use the oscillator in a submarine and driven by electric motors, they can be used to pump air in/out of floatation tanks.
The boilers and engines I used to make would easily run for 45 minutes without water top up, so it seemed a waste of time to run any longer, as after that time or before, you have had enough and need a concentration break (fag & coffee), then go sail again after refreshed. You will also find that if made properly, the gas tank would run out well before the boiler was near empty.

Some of the more expensive and larger home made ones were made with fairly complicated pump systems, but as I said, not really needed.

In fact, the boat shown was originally fitted with a 'Cheddar Proteus' engine, but because of all the difficulties encountered trying to run it in a boat (OK as a display or on a bench) he asked if one of mine would do a better job. He just dropped the engine into the hole made by the Proteus engine, and ran it off the original boiler. I wasn't surprised when he said he was over the moon with it (at a 1/4 of the cost).

John

Pandora 3.jpg

It seems that a few people are interested in something a little more complicated than the standard single cylinder, single acting wobblers.

I have mentioned this site before, and if you don't mind working in metric, here are a few plans you can download for free. Knowing a bit of French helps, but not totally needed, because there are plenty of pictures.

http://jpduval.free.fr/Plans_moteurs_vapeur_p1.htm

The one I based my commercial one on is bottom left, just click on the pictures and the plans appear. I do make a few major changes to make it easier to produce and run better.
The attached picture is how mine turns out.

Bogs

Pair together.JPG

Bogstandard said:
Mo,

Even if you never make it, just reading thru it will give you a load of tips, especially if you are on a budget and can't afford expensive tooling.

Mooseman has been in contact to tell me how pleased he is with the oscillator. It seems that everyone who obtained one can't believe how powerful they are for the size. I must make a few more.

Just enjoy what you are doing.

John

I am enjoying the easy worded advice here on the forum.. and would take my shot at building an engine, but I will take my spot at the back of the line if you do build a few more- But I would always love to have one from your hands...So when you do... Consider this an RSVP... $ ready..Thanks John

Cheers

Hi from a UK newbie to the site!
Just downloaded and printed the "little book" - fantastic!!
Im already part way through a steam engine build having been gifted an old Atlas 10f lathe, its 26 years ago that I finished my fitter turner horizontal borer apprenticeship and was then made redundant, never to machine again, or so I thought(!!) and the old skills are coming back.
I'd like to think I will follow the destructions and build this engine - but if not there is a wealth of hints and tips in the "book"
Thanks again for the effort and making it public - I am well impressed - hell we even have a similar sense of humour. Right, cup o tea and a fag - thanks again!
Paul

Bogstandard.
I am not often lost for words but I'll
havago
Some have the ability to inspire newbies, beginners,
all thumbed, stretch their faith in their own abilities
and go just that little further.
You Sir have it in spades.
Paul
PS. Humour + instruction the holy grail
of teachers.

John thanks for posting your book is a real practice manual clear and effective!!!. Also thank you for hosting it Rake. I really appreciate !!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Paolo

Does anyone have the PDF's for building the engine. When I click on the link I only get an ad for Rake.60. If they are available please advise. I would really appreciate them.

Thanks

Derek

Hi Members

Can someone advise as to how to download My little book on building my engine, i have tried to do this by using the links but get a notice that they are not PDF files or are corrupted so i could not download the PDF files, any help would be appreciated. :)

smokey said:
Hi Members

Can someone advise as to how to download My little book on building my engine, i have tried to do this by using the links but get a notice that they are not PDF files or are corrupted so i could not download the PDF files, any help would be appreciated. :)
I just went to the Rapidshare site listed in the link by Bernd and it seemed to download ok. I think that's Bogs' 'official' distribution site at the moment.

Latest posts

Back