My first

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jor2daje

Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted to start by saying great forum, Ive been lurking on and off for a couple years now there is an amazing wealth of knowledge. And now that Im going to be reunited with my sherline (Im a freshman in college so had to leave it behind for my first semester :mad: ) I have quite a few plans for more complicated engines.

This one the second or third project that I did on my sherline and first engine, I designed it myself although I know the principle is nothing new. Not very exciting but its a runner and it feels good having made it myself from some scrap. Flywheel is two part outer is a section of steel pipe, inner is 6061 alu. the body, cylinder, crank and base are all 6061 also, base is sandal wood, the cylinder liner is brass tubing (not sure if that was the best choice but I didnt have any reamers at the time), bronze bushings, and the piston is some stainless. "cooling fins" are purely decorative but were a fun challenge because the are not concentric with the cylinder body. Anyway time for some pictures, any criticisms or recommendations for a next small engine would be great.

No where near as shiny as some on the forum but a nice desk piece anyway.
DSC06344.jpg

DSC06346.jpg

crappy quality video, first run, prior to putting in bronze bushings so flywheel wobbles a fair amount.

Very nice, indeed, jor2daje. Especially so for a first engine. You should be proud.

Where are you attending college and what are you studying? (We're a nosy lot here.) Perhaps, when you have a chance, you could introduce yourself in the welcome section of the forum.

sorry never looked at the welcome section too intrigued by the beautiful engines haha Ill make a post in a sec. Im at University of the Pacific in Stockton CA, though Im originally from Santa Barbara, studying mechanical engineering, possibly double majoring in physics.

Very good first effort.

My first one was not nearly as refined.

WOW!!
Great work there!!!

Waiting to see what you come up with for your next project!!!

Andrew

Good job, I like the idea of having the pivot above the ports. What you going to build next?
Brock

Congratulations!

A very fine looking engine.

thanks for the nice words, I was thinking for my next one I might try an elbow, I just love the design its so different. My only concern is getting the elbows perfectly 90 which seems to be one of the hardest parts based on my reading.

I designed it myself although I know the principle is nothing new.
Many have deigned there own version of the wobbler still a success to be proud of.

Not very exciting but its a runner and it feels good having made it myself from some scrap.
Completing the assembly of an engine you built and having it run is ALWAYS exiting does not matter the complexity or whether it is the first or 100th.
Please do not apologies for your work and while it is ok to strive for excellence try not compare yourself to others . Yea i have done it too.
It is a very nice little engine . personalty i think it deserves a larger base to show it off better.
and yes please post an introduction when you get a chance.

That's nice work. looks better than the ones I made. mine suck so bad I wont post them.
Mike i find that hard to believe th_wwp.
Tin

Very nice engine, and very brave to design your own for your first try.

Back