My first engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely engine you have built there.

It brings back memories of this site a few months ago, where it seemed like everyone was building one.

I think a lot of them went under the bench or recycled because they couldn't get them to run.

John

Group,

I am planning on having a go at an elbow soon, does anyone have any advice on how to make it a less painful process?

Regards, Bret

Welcome to HMEM WMarco

If the Elbow was your first engine and it runs, any future
engines will be easy for you. ;)

I built that engine about a year ago.
It was easily the most frustrating engine I've ever built.

Rick

I see we have another masochist on the forum. I too chose the elbow as a first engine and was so bold as to make some serious modifications to the plans. I'll second Rick's opinion... that little engine was nearly enough to make a grown man cry. The machining was basic and straight forward, but getting the darned thing to run was quite something else. I was literally dreaming of 90° pistons by the time I got all of them sorted out.

Bret
I suggest a good single malt scotch.....(grin). It's a good project for developing patience and humility. You'll get it to run, but squaring up those pistons is... uh.... humbling. It is also an extremely satisfying confidence builder when it finally does run.

Steve

I.m not familiar with that design. Where could one find a breakdown drawing of it? Excellent execution on the construction of the project. I't is a beautiful piece and must give a sense of great accomplishment that it actually runs(by other comments this seems very difficult).

Maybe there's some hidden benefits in building the elbow. Need a perfect 90 degree reference square? Just fiddle with an elbow engine until it works, then pull out the pistons and put them in your toolbox for future use as squares. :)

As it says 'YOU CAN MAKE THIS ENGINE'

Getting it to run afterwards is another project in itself.

If you are even slightly prone to throwing yourself off cliffs, sticking your head in a vice and tightening it up, or even having a bit too much to drink, this one will definitely see you over the edge.

I didn't have much trouble with mine, but of course I don't suffer from any of the above.

But I did get thru a few domestic pets.

John

Latest posts

Back