My first ball ....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren't they fun? I think that balls are one of the most gratifying things to make, because they appear as if by magic.

Yeah, maybe you'r right - it IS in fact facinating to make them !

You might get a kick out of this - this is the first "ball" I attempted to make using the method of calculated stepped cuts (before I built my first ball turning tool). My calculations were accurate but my technique was bad - I based each measurement off the previous position, so errors accumulated as I went along. I corrected this on the left half of the "ball" so as you can see it looks "rounder." Although the shape turned out more egg than ball, it's actually quite comfortable, so I use it on the lever end of my tailstock cam lock.

9iLG0NUL3pBMChQ_NCa57w3egS7hBeeSvf909V7CuEs

tailstock-ball-end.jpg

I think you should machine both 'ends' of the ball at the same time - then the ball gets more symmtrical.

Of cause the radius of the ball CAN'T be greater than the diameter of the rod you are starting out with - so the method should be:

place the pivot point right under then axial line of the chuck
place the rod in the lathe
advance the cutting bit to the rod and fasten tight (NOT with the cross slide !)
back off the cutting bit with the cross slide and start turning

this way the ball will be exactly round :D

Here is my two cents worth.
Was building a steam engine with speed governor with sphereical 10mm O.D. weights.
Had to built a Rotary Table from scratch. A "China" Rotary Table would cost $200 in Singapore.
Built Table for S$60 inclusive of bought out Japanese worm and wheel.
Successfully cut both balls plus the governor frame. Foto shows Rotary Table and finished weights.HSS tool bit in holder is shown mounted on the rotary table.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

place the pivot point right under then axial line of the chuck

This part is fairly critical to get a ball, and not an ogive.

But you are absolutely correct in making both hemispheres at the same time for symetry.

I prefer to leave a shoulder/boss on one end, as I think it looks better for most knobs. Obviously, this is simply personal opinion.

In fact I did cut both ends at the same time. However, I was not using a ball cutting tool. I was making a series of cuts using (in effect) x-y coordinates calculated as "turns" on the cross slide and compound rest (set at 90 degrees to the cross slide). You might say I was doing manual CNC. Here is where my technique was wrong: If the first cut is at .005x, .005y, and the second cut is at .010x,.010y then in theory, after the first cut one can just move another .005,.005. In practice, however, there is so much play in the system that what you actually have to do is restart at 0,0 before each cut (moving "in" to 0,0 to remove any backlash); this takes a lot more time. So - left half made using correct technique, right half made using wrong technique.

I did this more as an experiment than anything else. I would not use this method for turning balls unless I absolutely had to, but I thing it can be a useful method for making unusual profiles in the absence of a CNC.

P.S. to gus: Very nice work on the rotary table and steam engine.

Reactions: gus
In fact I did cut both ends at the same time. However, I was not using a ball cutting tool. I was making a series of cuts using (in effect) x-y coordinates calculated as "turns" on the cross slide and compound rest (set at 90 degrees to the cross slide). You might say I was doing manual CNC. Here is where my technique was wrong: If the first cut is at .005x, .005y, and the second cut is at .010x,.010y then in theory, after the first cut one can just move another .005,.005. In practice, however, there is so much play in the system that what you actually have to do is restart at 0,0 before each cut (moving "in" to 0,0 to remove any backlash); this takes a lot more time. So - left half made using correct technique, right half made using wrong technique.

I did this more as an experiment than anything else. I would not use this method for turning balls unless I absolutely had to, but I thing it can be a useful method for making unusual profiles in the absence of a CNC.

P.S. to gus: Very nice work on the rotary table and steam engine.

Hi
During my apprenctice days,I saw my maestros free hand machine brass balls.Thought I could do it but after machining 6 balls and none look like identical twins,I gave up and went on to make my own rotary table.
Added on tee slots to mount chucks and thrust bearings behind hand wheel to smoothen turning table.Tee slotting was another excersise new to me.

See foto. Rotary table looks like a vet by now after doing a few more jobs.

IMG_0524.jpg

Latest posts

Back