Must have set up tooling.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmadness

Reaction score
Ok, here is the situation. I sold an item on Ebay and now I have some tooling money on hand. So what do you consider great tooling to have on hand you wouldn't want to be without.

I am currently going to buy the multi position V Block, little hogger end mills and a few small items.

that really depends on what you already have

Randel

I have quite a bit of tooling but I am looking for that obscure piece that no one thinks about that is a true time saver or headache remover type piece. Heck I still don't know what most of the stuff does that you see in the Enco Catalogue, especially when it come to work holding, angle plates, tooling plates, etc, etc.

Maybe I am asking too much, just looking that special tool.

Things I am very glad I bought

Rotary Table

Ball end Mills

Collets- R8 and ER32.

Space Block Set -(I use these whenever I setup the Z axis on the mill)

Measuring Tools -Inside Micrometers, Dial Bore Gauges, .0001" test indicator.

Reamers (I don't have many, but I wish I had more)

Indexable Lathe Tooling.

DRO (Mine is in the Mail) my current cheapo has just about had it.

Might Mag magnetic bases. For holding indcators on the lathe

I am sure I can think of more. But these are some of the items I cannot do without (Now that I have them)

Kel

Qucik Change tool post
Collet chuck
Keyless chucks for lathe and mill (good ones!)
Dividing head and tailstock
rotary table
GOOD milling vice ( Kurt)
115 pc drill index of decent quality
Surface plate ( they're cheap now)
4x6 metal cutting bandsaw....
tailstock tap and die holder sets
0-1, 1-2,2-3 micrometers
gauge block set

#1 Bandsaw
#2 QCTP
#3 Kurt Vice

in that order

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the ideas guys, I guess I have more stuff than I thought after reading the list you guys gave I have most of it.

The things I cherish most are the DRO Pros dro for my mill, the lathe will come later. My ebay sale wasn't that big ;D

A complete set of drill bits seems to be the item that has caught my eye out of everything that has been listed.Numbers,Letters and fractional as a set is something i don't have and could use. Elmer's engine plans call for odd size holes sometimes and having a full set would eliminate making due.

Kcmillin, an over and under set of reamers are great. I have a relative cheap set that work pretty good.

Thanks for all the ideas.

OK,

Any recomendations as to the Rotary Table? With indexing head and tailstock?

Been lookin at several on ebay here in Germany.

I have a Optimum mill BF20-L vario.

Most of the tooling that has been listed, I already have collected.

George

If you are doing a lot of RC models then you may want to think of a 1-6.0mm set in 0.1 increments, I use this most of teh time for all my imperial and metric tapping drills.

Having just bought a set of the little hoggers I don't see me using them that much, a small dia flycutter seems to work better though I have not tried them on brass yet which may respond better to the negative rake. And my 40mm indexable endmill will be what I reach for more than the little hoggers.

I really like my electronic touchpoint edge finder and now only use the other types when I can't get the electric one into a tight space.

A boring head is useful for larger holes in items that are too big to bore on teh lathe, a few carbide bars for this won't go amiss

A nice set of Tee handle hex and torx keys is something else useful especially the small T7 & T8 ones for indexable tooling, easier than the keys supplied. Eklind do good ones, Again from J&L.

Vernier height gauge, vee blocks, 1-2-3 blocks, angle plates are all worth having.

Jason

You have the catalog, just start buying things at the front and keep going until you have one of everything.

There really isn't any end to it. Just when you think you have everything that you could possible need/want, you will find something else that looks good, even if it is only for occasional use or need.

It's a disease and there is no cure.

Loosenut, you may have the best idea. :eek:

Jasonb, thanks for the insight on the little hogger's. I have a 1 1/2" indexable surfacing head and a set of fly cutters. Do you use your height gauge a lot?

wla421- I only have a cheap 3" rotary table with a Sherline 3 jaw chuck mounted on it. I have only used it once and have yet to find a need for a bigger one. None the less CDCO tools has a decent selection at hobby prices. Don't know about shipping to Germany.

I find the height gauge usefull for marking out larger items and castings, though with DROs I now tend to do less marking out than I used to.

Jason

Latest posts

Back