Murphy is alive and well

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vascon2196

Reaction score
Murphy's law...yesterday, the start of my vacation I decided to begin a project. Did a little milling, drilling, and boring on the Bridgeport...no problems. Today I moved over to the lathe for some turning when smoke started to bellow out of the motor.....yaaaaaaay!

Well wouldn't you know that there are approximately 2 dozen different types and sizes of fasteners that must be removed in order to access the motor. I had to un-bolt the lathe from the bench, swing it over to the edge just to access the motor mounting bolts. But first the chip guard had to be removed, then the v-belt, timing belt, pulley, and a few thousand other things.

I must have turned green, grew in size, and had my clothes split like the Hulk I was so damn mad! 2 days away from Christmas and I'm looking for a motor....yaaaaaaay!

The good news is that it appears to be a burnt out capacitor and a local motor repair shop is working on it.

But then again, with Murphy floating around you never know.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Chris
I get the absolute frustration but...
A bump in the road. Like spending 2 days making a part and screwing it up on the last op.
Some good things though.
1. it wasn't the whole motor ($$$$). Just a capacitor.
2. It's fixable
3. No bodily injury.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Absolutely Stan...and the motor is ready this morning for pick up! Just in time for Christmas!

good ol' major edward a. murphy and his ever frustrating law... anything that can go wrong eventually will. seems kinda obvious.. the military and aviation industry used this as a reason to do everything by the book. just incase the book changes, or you get hasty.. memorization of tasks is strictly prohibited. the T.O. must be out and open to the proper section. ofcoarse the book can't prevent part fatigue and failure. it can only tell you how often to inspect for it.

Latest posts

Back