• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

MSC direct dot com

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

Got some pretty good sales prices in todays flyer.

Picked up a 52 pc. clamping set for $40 and a 4 inch x y crossslide vise for $25. That's about 60% off on those two.

;D

sounds like you get some good deals over your side of the pond.would expect to pay double that over here in uk.Just as an experiment how much could you chaps over in the US expect to pay for a Stuart models 10v kit including taxes and postage(shipping sorry).As this is the most basic of the stuart kits it should be available every where.In England,delivered to my door it is £92 exactly.Thats about $135 US.Anybody do better?Am curios to know.

best regards Steve C

I dont want to limit this request to just the US,how about all over the world wherever you live.No prizes for the cheapest but I may come and live next door to you if there are good savings to be made.

best regards Steve C

I'm not sure of (from UK to US) but to ship a 2 pounds of product from US to UK is approx $27 USD via the US Postal Service. It is the cheapest shipping option from the US to the UK I've found. I sell and ship quite a few things to the UK.

What are the options to ship from the UK to USA? I imagine the postal service has an agreement to go both ways but I'm not sure if the cost is the same.

My guestimate on your question would be approx. $170 to $190.....just a guess!

I'd really like to build a Stuart (the twin Victoria is my favorite), but the prices for the kits are exorbitant. For the money they want for a kit, I can buy a huge pile of stock. Plans of similar engines are available all over the web.

Besides, making your own version is half the fun!

scoop said:
Just as an experiment how much could you chaps over in the US expect to pay for a Stuart models 10v kit including taxes and postage(shipping sorry).As this is the most basic of the stuart kits it should be available every where.In England,delivered to my door it is £92 exactly.Thats about $135 US.Anybody do better?Am curios to know.

Quick look-see :

http://secure.enginemodels.com/cgi-bin/store/perlshop.cgi?action=enter&thispage=engines1.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

$165 not including tax/shipping

http://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/Castings.html

$175 not including tax/shipping

http://www.stuartmodels.com/inprod_det.cfm/section/casting/mod_id/39

69.00 GBP = 103.068 USD without shipping

www.colespowermodels.com

$140 + tax/shipping

So looks like you Brits get the cheapest price by far unless us Yanks find old Stuart kits around the States. That's how I got my 10H a few years back. Sitting on someone's shelf gathering dust.

Mike

Comparing prices on something manufactured in one of the countries being compared seems unfair.

A fairer comparison would be something that is imported into both countries, e.g., a Chinese 4 x 6 bandsaw, and resold by country-local merchants.

Admittedly anecdotal but my experience is that the numerical price for a given item like the above is about the same in both countries, except it's in pounds in the UK and dollars here - thus about a 2:1 difference. (Today's exchange rate shows 1.49 $/UKP so 2:1 may be a little high.)

Marv,I was just being a bit curious about English stuff sold in America or other countries outside Europe to see if the prices were higher for the same thing.One of the bizzare ways in which our European economy works is that sometimes English products are available cheaper in other European countries due to tax breaks or other reasons.Looks like stuart kits keep their high prices everywhere.They are a bit pricey I agree.

best regards Steve C.

Using Marv's criteria,

Comparing Chinese machinery prices in UK MEW against Aust ME. On average the English prices are 1.33 times the Aust prices. Shipping distance is approx two times to EU over Oz. But then again compare the size of the European market to the Oz/NZ market.

Steve,

It's probably fair to say that castings for model engines are not a commodity item and are only of interest to a small percentage of the population in any country.

At least that my take on it.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back