motorised rotary table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

I get all sorts of daft ideas, here's one I've had in mind for a while. I'm thinking that circular items, too large for the lathe, could be worked in the milling machine if fixed to a large enough rotary table. Even better if the rotary table could be power driven. I have a 4 inch Vertex rotary table that I use for dividing etc but would not be large enough to handle say a 9 inch + flywheel. The rotary table I have in mind would not be used for indexing but purely for turning. I'm in the motor trade so all sorts of things go in our scrap bin. I haven't started on this yet I just thought I would post it here first to see what comments/suggestions come forth. Here's what I have so far. A front hub from a Peugeot 306. The hole where the ball joint fits in is damaged but that's of no matter as a fair bit of the hub will be cut away. The bearing and flange are in perfect condition.

I also have a wiper motor.

The Idea is to somehow mate the 2 together.

What do you think???

Cheers

Rich

It should work fine, Rich.
Many years ago I needed to do some "turning" on a part that was larger than my lathe could handle. I bolted it down to an eight inch rotary table on the mill. The handle on the the rotary table was held on with a hex head nut. I put a socket on the nut, followed by a universal joint and an extension shaft out to a 3/8 variable speed drill. It was a one time operation for me, but the improvised set up worked well so I see no reason that your set up would not work well.
Gail in NM

That should work OK Rich. I have the flywheel off a Datsun L18 engine tucked away for a similar, future, project. Conveniently the ring gear has 120 teeth, so it should be easy enough to set it up for indexing as well.

Hi

Thanks for confirming the idea will work Gail. Tel, I like the idea of a flywheel/ring gear, I'll look out for one.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

Bloody brilliant...... make 2 and you can have the second one. :p :p :p

Best Regards
Bob

Hi

I managed to scrounge a flywheel today,Ford we think?? Its 10 1/2 dia which would be a good size but its not the completely flat sort. It has 104 teeth on the ring gear which is not ideal for indexing. I may use it if nothing else comes along.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

Remember to get the pinion off of the starter motor so you can use it on what ever motor your going to drive the fly wheel with. Just a thought. 8)

Bernd

Hi Bernd

Yes I had thought of that but the flywheel came on its own. Won't be too hard to get a pinion though if I take that route. I would like to mount the wiper motor underneath if poss and drive the hub from there. I'll see what else turns up first before I start. No rush on this job.

cheers

Rich

Back