morse taper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rod
Great information but I wonder about things here in Little England. There really are some horrendous prices here. Mine is getting somewhat blunt and I don't have an air spindle.

I don't think that UK tool suppliers want us model engineers and especially wizenned old farts like me.

Nice to read something that is new here.

My thanks

Norman

Norman, thanks. The listing I posted said they ship worldwide. You'll probably also find the same supplier on ebay.com.

Petertha, the two lathes I have had don't have tangs so it is just the friction in the MT3 tailstock holding in the drill chuck so if you seat it firmly, it should hold.

Norman, thanks. The listing I posted said they ship worldwide. You'll probably also find the same supplier on ebay.com.

It's difficult to cope with what additional charges and hassle might arrive. VAT( Value added Tax), Customs, Exchange surcharges on money conversions) Really, I have enough hassle having Spanish properties and also travelling extensively into Europe itself.

Now, the Chinese here are wanting me to go back to HongKong which I love.

I'm supposed to be retired:hDe: Chance is a fine thing.

Norman

I was scanning though this topic and had a thought. All this talk about collets and modifications. Why not just get on Ebay or Craigslist and purchase a longer lathe.

Even Little Machine Shop sells longer beds to upgrade your lathe.

Just a thought.

...Ved.

i had a bigger lathe . but due to illness and finances i had to sell everything to keep me alive. now im starting over again and want small equipment so i can move it around by my self. i dont mind smaller equipment . i just need to learn how to get around some issues with smaller equipment. and some of them issues are working on longer stuff or drilling with longer bits.
hey everybody could have a full fledge machine shop with all the big boys ,but when your broke an cant lift stuff like when i was a lad (er superman) haha.
i like smaller lathes . stuff i do could and can be made on smaller equipment.
it's just gunna require more thinking , witch is ok for me. At least my brain will be busy hahahahahahahaha :D

I have some of these, They are called split collets. They can be purchased to fit anu drill, number, letter metric, fractional. There is no drawbar needed, however you need to have a tang slot in the tailstock quill, to avoid spinning on larger sizes, The trick that makes them work is there is a depth stop in the collet, so the drill puts all its force into the collet body to hold it in, and of course the grip increases at the same time.b I have both mt-1 and mt-2 body size a range of sizes. The sizes are mostly tap drill sizes, To lock them into the TS, I just whack a piece of stock against the collet one or two shots is all.

PM me if you would like some Cheap.

A couple of photos, mt-1 and my-2

drill%20collet%20002_zpsfj5jib2y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

drill%20collet%20004_zpshfxy68xt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

those are what ive seen witch gave me the idea in the first place.

What is the diameter of the tailstock quill and can you thread the nose for 10- 20 mm?

What is the diameter of the tailstock quill and can you thread the nose for 10- 20 mm?

1 i dont know . 2 probably have not thought about that. im just looking for a simple idea for holding drill bits at the tail stock saving as much space as i can, so as to drill longer stock. no real big deal i can set up drill press and drill . but it would be easyer to do it all on the lathe while its chucked up. im leaning on buying a tail stock and modifying that for my needs then make my own morse taper thingys as i need them. im mean after all i do have a lathe might as well make tools as i need them , right.

Back