Model Engine air system

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You all know I’m a relative newbee at this model engine building hobby. So new, I haven’t built a boiler of any type to run my basic engines. I run all my creations on compressed air. I don’t even have a respectable air system in my shop. Just an old Hausfield-Campbel portable compressor and a tin of various adapters to connect my meager creations (only 4 runners todate!).
So, I want to standardize the method in which I connect air to my little beauties. Today, I purchased a 5 gallon air tank, air hoses, a regulator, and various adaptors with the idea of making a portable air system that can be easily connected to any air source for recharging, and have a regulated output.
One of the hoses I purchased is a small hose with knurled (not hex) connectors that also came with a couple of adaptors to connect it to 3/8”air fittings. The knurled fittings are threaded 1/8-27 NPT. I have chosen this size fitting to connect my engines.
That brings me to my question(s). I know there are taps for this thread widely available, and dies not so widely available. I plan to turn 1/8-27 NPT on my lathe. Is this thread tapered? Does anyone have an unused tap and die set for this thread they don’t need? Are there male/female barbed connectors available in this thread so I could make short connecting hoses using surgical tubing? Or would I have to make those, too?
I intend to make male connections for my engines and maybe even a manifold with 5 or 6 connections on it to run all my engines at once.Any ideas/input/criticisms welcome. Tell me what you do. If I’m way out in left field, don’t be afraid to bring me to my senses. Who knows, I may be exhibiting my bunch at Cabin Fever someday!
Chuck

Last edited:
attached a chart of the threads you are needing

Untitled.jpg

I turn all my fittings to 0.170" outside diameter, and the clear plastic line available at the hardware store is a perfect "push on" fit--doesn't even need clamps.---Brian

Latest posts

Back