Minor diameter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsackett

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just got a 5c collet adaptor and need to make a drawbar. Thread is 1.240x20. For a minor i come up with 1.179. Right?? Wrong?? Close?? Not even in the same zip code?? Appreciate any help here fellas, not the greatest math whiz. Regards, j.d.

The 77% depth-of-thread tap drill size would be:

1.24 - 1/20 = 1.19

Is that really a 1.24 or is that what you measured ?

I would have thought 1.25 (1¼") would be more likely.

Ken

Thanks guys, was pretty close ;D Ken, it's supposed to be 1.240. At least that's what the specs are for a 5c collet outside thread. Thanks again, j.d.

I think it depends a bit on who you get your collets from. I've seen anything from 1.230 to 1.245.

As you have got the collet just make the thread to fit in much the same way you would adjust a split die to give the required fit.

Jason

Marv, that's a much simpler formula than i have. The one i have is 1/tpi*.61343 *2 and then subtracted from the major. I like yours better. Regards, j.d.

I made a 5C drawbar a while back (first bit of internal-single-point-threading I'd done on the lathe). The thread is pretty loose, which is good since my collet threads are all over the map. There's plenty of threads engaged so it's not a problem like that.

jdsackett said:
Marv, that's a much simpler formula than i have. The one i have is 1/tpi*.61343 *2 and then subtracted from the major. I like yours better. Regards, j.d.

The more general formula, which includes the desired depth-of-thread, is:

TD = MD - 0.013*DOT/TPI

where:

TD = tap drill diameter
MD = major diameter
DOT = desired depth-of-thread expressed as percentage

When DOT = 77, this formula reduces to the one I gave above...

TD = MD - 1/TPI

Latest posts

Back