Minimum top speed for milling machine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
What would you recommend as the minimum top speed I should be looking for in a milling machine. I've seen an old Marlow machine which looks nice but on reading up on it, it only appears to have a top speed of 1450 which sounds a little slow for small cutters.

Thanks

Jim

Apologies for following up my own post but I've re-read the spec and now not sure I've understood it correctly.

The detailsl are here http://www.lathes.co.uk/marlowmiller/

Looking at the 5th paragraph would you assume the machine has a switchable top speed of either 2250 or 1450 or that it is fixed at one of those speeds depending on whether it has a 3 or 5 step pulley.

Obviously I will be asking the vendor the same question but can't get hold of him at the moment

Thanks

I sounds as if it has a 2-sheave pulley. Assuming a 3-phase motor and a VFD, you can usually safely overspeed these by 50%, which would give you 3375.

JimM said:
Apologies for following up my own post but I've re-read the spec and now not sure I've understood it correctly.

The detailsl are here http://www.lathes.co.uk/marlowmiller/

Looking at the 5th paragraph would you assume the machine has a switchable top speed of either 2250 or 1450 or that it is fixed at one of those speeds depending on whether it has a 3 or 5 step pulley.

Obviously I will be asking the vendor the same question but can't get hold of him at the moment

Thanks

As I read it, the machine came in one of two pulley configurations. Depending upon which configuration you have, your top speed will be EITHER 2250 or 1450.

If you have the 5 step pulley configuration you can get the 2250 speed. To change over, you would need to remove that pulley set, then install the "back gear" pulley set along with the 3 step pulleys.

Alan

AlanHaisley said:
As I read it, the machine came in one of two pulley configurations. Depending upon which configuration you have, your top speed will be EITHER 2250 or 1450.

If you have the 5 step pulley configuration you can get the 2250 speed. To change over, you would need to remove that pulley set, then install the "back gear" pulley set along with the 3 step pulleys.

Alan

That's how I decided it was as well - I'm going to give the machine a miss as I'd like something with a higher top speed than 1450 as I can see drilling small holes a fairly frequent requirment

Cheers

Jim

Fast as you can get. I've just altered my X1 to give higher top speed....4700rpm.

Julian

Latest posts

Back