Mini Pressure Gauges

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenPeake

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried making a pressure gauge from scratch or found a really cheap source for miniature brass gauges? The only ones I've found have been quite expensive and it would seem to me that making one from scratch would present a few difficulties the primary of which would be calibration. Perhaps I'm wrong though and would love to hear if someone has found a solution via either route.

Thanks,
Ben

I haven't done it, but if I were going to make a pressure gauge I would use a close fitting piston in a cylinder with a spring pushing the piston down against the pressure line. The piston would drive a rod and the end of the rod would indicate the pressure.

Charlie

Kozo's book "Building the Heisler" has a chapter in the back on building a 1" diameter pressure gauge and a calibration fixture.
Gail in NM

Making a Bourdon pipe shouldn´t be very hard either, basically it´s just a somewhat flattened nearly circular copper pipe. Could be bent with Cerrobend or equivalent. The problems I think would be in the pointer mechanism. A Bourdon tube has only little movement, so "gearing" that small movement up into a long pointer swing, that will be +/- accurately repeatable, will call for some watchmaking skills. Somewhat similar to building a test dial indicator (if you´re willing to sacrifice one, then you´re over halfway there ;D ).
Another awkward thing is to get a +/- uniform scale when calibrating. Meaning there should be clear separation between the (meaningful) pressure readings, so they won´t be all in almost the same spot on the scale. That depends mostly on the tube dimensions, length, wall thickness, etc. Might need a bit of experimenting ???
If you build one, use it often, and calibrate it many times during the first year, the readings are likely to shift quite a bit when the tube slowly work hardens.
If you want a dependable small gauge, it´s likely to be expensive, either directly on your wallet, or in the time needed to build and test several before you get it right.

As Gail said Kozo has a method in the Heisler book. He makes the bourden tube from thin phosphor bronze sheet. The test rig is a small dead weight tester. The gauge does not have any gears so the range of the needle is limited.

He marks the face during the dead weight test. There is no way to reset the needle in future calibration tests a new face would have to be made. The design is the same the model commercial units I have examined.

It would be much cheaper to get the gears from a mechanical clock or even a cheep mechanical watch as you need a big gear and a pinion. Watch parts would include a small pointer on a shaft so some of the watch work would be already done.

Dan

:) Being an electronics engineer, I'd do it with a solid state sensor and a meter. :)
...lew...

Lew,
Do you have a source for small solid state sensors?

Dan

Thanks to everyone for the assistance provided. I'm thinking I might purchase one of those miniature gauges suggested by Dean to see if they are any good.

Cheers,
Ben

Dan Rowe said:
Lew,
Do you have a source for small solid state sensors?

Dan
Back quite a few years ago when I was actively doing that sort of thing Motorola
made a complete module and several of the semiconductor mfgrs. made chips in
various configs. that could have been built in to some fitting.
Been retired now for 11 yrs and even the last 10 or so before I wasn't using those
devices so I'm more than a little obsolete. :)
...lew...ps. not sure about live steam

Noitoen said:
Honeywell has a 250PSI sensor. I use them for water with no problems. For steam, all you have to do is to create a little pipe loop so that the fluid against the sensor is water. They do this in normal applications to keep the gauges cool. www.rselectronics.com/Attachments/PDF/HNS24PCGFM6G.pdf

Operating temp: -40 to 185'F. That could be a problem in a boiler application.

That's likely the packaging though, and it might be available in a better one.

Latest posts

Back