Mini Hand Tapper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walnotr

Reaction score
I needed a break from screwing up parts for the Whittle engine I'm trying to build so I decided to make a hand tapping stand to help out with the build. I didn't take any pictures while making it as it is pretty straight forward machining. It was made from materials I had on hand so it was almost FREE! ;D If there is interest, I will post the drawings in the download section.

Steve C.

HandTap.jpg

HandTap001.jpg

Nice one Steve - love the handle!

Great job, Steve.
Simple and effective, the best kind!

That looks like a fun project when everything else is on hold. 4 setscrews to hold the tap?

tel said:
Nice one Steve - love the handle!

Thanks, but most Taig mill owners will recognize it as one of the axis hand cranks. :big: Like I said, made from materials on hand! :D

what do you mean IF there is interest . We love it and you know we love plans for anything we can machine . finding time to make stuff is often the hard part. Atta Boy Steve.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
what do you mean IF there is interest . We love it and you know we love plans for anything we can machine . finding time to make stuff is often the hard part. Atta Boy Steve.
Tin

OK, done. It's in the downloads section. Feel free to make suggestions for improvements

Steve C.

Thanks for the plans Steve. I've been thinking I'd like something like this for a while and your design looks ideal.

Oh now, I have GOT TO have me one of these! A stout looking tool and practical as well. I had notions of converting an old drill stand I was given (the kind that you clamped a power drill in to make it a vertical DP) but I do like this arrangement better.

BC1
Jim

Steve, that is my next project. Been thinking about one of these, really like your design. Larry1

It looks really good, Steve. What a nice, clean job you've done.
Thanks for putting up the prints. Last time I saw one of your projects, I ended up
with a nice boring head. ;D Here we go again!

Dean

...and I thought that handle looked familiar!

Deanofid said:
...and I thought that handle looked familiar!

Thanks Dean, You among us are probably the most familiar with those handles. I am amazed at how much cranking you do with yours. :bow:

Steve C.

If I could just suggest a slight modification.

Put a knurled collar under the main handle. You can see it in this picture of mine.

handtapper.jpg

That will allow you to have much more fingertip 'feel' when doing tiny threading.

Tapping 2-56 or 2mm, or a lot smaller, holds no fears with one of these tapping stands.

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
If I could just suggest a slight modification.

Put a knurled collar under the main handle.

Excellent idea. I have been using it by "choking up" on the handle. You have me thinking of a collar down closer to the tap end. Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve C.

A great little tool Steve,I think I will mount a small Eclipse t-type tap wrench in the end without the bar when I make mine.
Don

walnotr said:
Thanks, but most Taig mill owners will recognize it as one of the axis hand cranks. :big: Like I said, made from materials on hand! :D

;D And here was me thinking you'd set to and carved it! Here's one 'in progress' I did not so very long ago.

ball2.jpg

Thanks Boggy - I've bookmarked that for ... erm ... next time!

Back