Mini Hand Tapper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a handy little bit to make for your tapping stand. These are a couple of pics taken from my 'Paddleducks' engine build book.

The first pic shows the item itself, made to match the height of your vice. You can make it with as many sides as you like, as long as the rods are all square to the base. Mine has 3, 4, 5 & 6mm silver steel rods in it.

Make it like a barbell, and you could easily get a dozen different sized pins in it.

The second pic shows how it is used. If you have a part that requires a tapped hole to be exactly square to a bore, just pop the bore onto the right sized pin on the jig, and it will hold it exactly square while you tighten up the vice.

I use it mainly when tapping big ends on steam engines, to make sure everything lines up perfectly and doesn't bind.

Bogs

Square 1.jpg

square 2.jpg

What a top-notch idea, one I gotta stea..., copy!

If I might add a suggestion, as you have to tap the holes in the angled head joint, why not make a table to fit the stand. This table would need its "true" face to be on the bottom, then you can hold the case up to it and tap through, thus keeping things square. The table could be attached to the column, a la drill stand, or it could be one that just sits on the base provided you made it high enough for the case to fit under.
Hope this makes some sense, 'coz I wrote it and I am having difficulties.(blame the hot weather)
Ned

Bogstandard said:
Here is a handy little bit to make for your tapping stand.

Bogs

The best thing about this forum is how one topic can inspire so many different ideas. It's kinda like sitting in a brainstorming group. I will file this idea away in the gray matter for a future need. (hopefully it won't get lost in there!)

Steve C.

:bow: to all of you!

Bogstandard said:
About half way down, it's not even worth firing the lathe up for.
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machine-Spares/Machine-Handles
Bogs

And here is a link for the guys in the USA. Look at the parts list for the milling machine, PN 200-30:
http://www.cartertools.com/parts.html
A measly $6.25 for the handle Steve shows in the prints. Get a few of them. They'll always
come in handy for the odd project.

I have a file I keep in my misc. machining section on my computer. It's named simply
"Make These Things", and in it I keep small pics of things to remind me of some shop
accessories I want. Yesterday, when downloading Steve's prints, I noticed I had a pic
of one there already.
It was John's, naturally. This place is so full of good stuff, and good people!
Thanks all!

Dean

Use these if part won't sit flat on table from #0 to #6 & M1.6 to M3.5.

P1000823.jpg

Back