milling machine question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to the forum and am in the process of buying a milling machine. Which is better Grizzly G0619 at $1469.00 with shipping wt. of 418 lbs or Lathemaster LMT25L at $1389.00 with shipping wt. of 340 lbs? Will be using for hobby building.

Hi,

Do you have any machining experience? What do you mean by hobby?
If you were abit more specific perhaps, the advice could be more precise.

Regards,

A.G

We see this question (or those like it) frequently. The variety of equipment that is in members' shops will probably cover nearly every mill ( or lathe, bandsaw, surface grinder, etc) that was ever made. That range includes everything from Unimats and Sherlines, up to Bridgeports and big Hardinge, Southbend and God knows what else.
The good part is that someone has whatever you are considering and can give hands-on pros and cons.
The difficulty is that we don't get enough information. Not about what you are going to build, but about your budget, space available, power available, ease of moving the machine, etc.
I'd love to have a big knee mill but with a 7' basement ceiling and no garage door into the basement, that's not going to happen.
I really enjoy the replies that are along these lines, "So I picked up a (insert manufacturer and model here) this weekend. No big deal. 12 of my friends who are all Olympic class weightlifters put it in my (insert name of largest truck in the world here), backed it into my shop, hooked up the 6 ton overhead crane and in 2 minutes, I was making chips."
All of my friends have bad backs or knee replacements.
I have a 1999 BMW (it does have a fold down rear seat)
My shop is in the basement with access through the front door, a tight turn into the kitchen and then down a 30" wide staircase.
I had to disassemble my G0602 into 3 parts (head, column, table) to get it into the shop.
And if the next guy who says "Get a Bridgeport" can get one at a reasonable price, can get it to my house and into my shop, he can have my Grizzly and I'll throw in dinner.

Latest posts

Back