milling a 7 degree angle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmannell

Reaction score
I am a beginner and just wanting to know how to mill a 7 degree angle using a vertical mill. I can get a 7 degree end mill cutter but I want to mill the male part of a dovetail. The only angle cutter I see you can get is smaller on the end so the angle this would cut with the vertical mill would be narrower at the top and wider at the bottom. I need the cut to make a dovetail that is wider at the top and narrower at the bottom. If this makes any sense could someone tell me what I need to make this cut???

Do they make these in 7 degree angle, the ones I see in the catalog are 45 & 60 degree only. I want to put a block of steel in the mill vise and make a pass along the side of this block making a cut that is at 7 degrees with the deeper part of the cut at the bottom portion of the block.

You could make a fly cutter for this job. It's would be slow going though.

Use a standard 30° degree cutter and swing your head 23°

Just a thought.

The easy way to achieve what you are after is to use standard cutters and undercuts.

I have put a C-o-C at the bottom, and hope that explains it.

Bogs

Undercut Dovetails.jpg

Bogstandard said:
The easy way to achieve what you are after is to use standard cutters and undercuts.

I have put a C-o-C at the bottom, and hope that explains it.

Bogs

Thanks for the info and drawing, I'll give that a try

Latest posts

Back