Mill choice help please

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROB 123

Reaction score

Hi Guys
Im not a model maker but have come here as its about tooling and im sure many of you have in the past had the same type of question.

I have been looking at 3 Mills the warco wm16 ,the Chester champion 20V
and the ama25lv

Are these all about the same regarding the spec ? and do any run a brushless motor .
I will be using this as a drill mostly but may get into milling at a later stage but only alloy .

Thanks
Rob.

These are all what are often referred to as 'BF20 clones' due to the similarity with the Optimum BF20 mill. You may find the X travel to be slightly different between the models you listed, aside from that, they are much alike.
None use a brushless motor, they employ a DC brushed system that isn't always known for brilliant reliability. I assume you are making a comparison with the brushless Sieg X3 model in this respect. Most people would probably agree that the motor/drive isn't so good on the BF machines, but the build quality and nature of the ironwork is superior to the Sieg.
I have a BF30 clone (a bit bigger, same as Warco WM18). My motor/controller failed so I put a 3-phase and inverter system on it. Now I have the best of both worlds, and I am very happy with it.

Many thanks for your reply and yes i was likeing it to the sieg motor as thats the only one that states what motor it has.

That said i wont be putting the machine through any hard work, as said drilling is the main use and most of that is alloyminium my pillar drill is passed its best and this size mill will be more than enough for my needs .
Your machine would be just to big for me thats for sure but sounds like it can cope with anything ,i have to say the Warco machines do look nice in the green and haveing looked around again today its just about my first choice .
Rob.

I'd go for the Sieg X3....personal choice...but I do have the C3 lathe with the brushless motor which is far superior to the brushed altenrative offered on the previous version

Hi John
The sieg does look a fine machine but would be very under used for my needs and i know i wont be getting into the milling side of things other than just tinkering about .
I know its often a case of buy right buy once but i wont ever need to upgrade.
Thanks
Rob.

Rob

I even suggest the SX3. It may seem OTT for what you want to do today but you'll soon find you are milling more than turning and you will probably outgrow anything smaller. You'll soon be looking for things to mill, just because you can.

I went for an SX3 on the basis that I didn't want to regret it later, and I don't.

Pete

Hi Pete
I doult i will ever do much milling i just dont have the time The mill will hopefully give me more control for Drilling hole's .
My drill gave up today i have been using a mill bit in it to cut 2mm deep flat bottomed hole's but it has to much drift even with wd 40 on alloy.
So i have ordered the Warco wm 16 It should arrive this week .
Thanks for the reply's i got here and may i wish you all good luck with your model work and of cause the machines you all enjoy using .
Rob.

I now have my warco wm 16 and it is perfect for my needs and must say it works great out the box i just had a little grease to clean of cause .
The people at warco were great to deal with so can recomend them for a great service..I have no conection with them .

Rob.

Back