Metric plans for a my first engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattty

mattty
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to this site, and I love it all ready. I am wanting to make my first engine, however I would like to make it out of stock (no castings) also I would prefer metric plans, I am happy to purchase plans, and would like some advice on a good first project.
Kind regards
Matt

Hi mattty, welcome, if you have any problems with converting an imperial design to metric, just drop me a private message and I will help with the conversion.

Paul.

hello, I can send you metric drawings of an oscillating engine on a column.
It was also my first engine, therefore not so difficult to make.
if you are interested give me your @ mail address
Gerard

If you take 32 mm for 1 inch you get most mesurements is nice metrick numbers.
Normaly 1/8 inch would be 3,175mm hard to get a drill for that or find a piece of metal
if you take 32 mm as 1 inch 1/8 would become 4 mm , and that is standard
same with 1/4, 1/16 , 1/32 1/64 it mostly convert to metrick that way

The trick in converting imperial drawings to metric, is to have the ability to make changes to things like shaft sizes to suit available metric stock. Alternately, you can still use imperial stock for shafts. Are you wanting to convert to metric because you are more proficient in that system, and your machines are metric? If you convert to metric, you will end up with a lot of odd size metric dimensions, for example 5/8" is 15.875mm, instead of chasing the size down to the third decimal point, make it 16.0mm.

When I convert imperial to metric, I only worry about the sizes that really matter, parts that end up in fresh air and don't have to match anything can be machined "near enough".

Paul.

Latest posts

Back