Metric fine / coarse

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickharris

Reaction score
I have been unable to find a definitive answer to this. Why are there fine and coarse metric threads and where does fine stop and coarse start?

I can't say I have the right answer but I assume the reason would be the same as SAE bolts. Fine thread bolts are made to be used where there is alot of vibration.
gbritnell

Normal metric screws have a standard pitch but in applications where you need higher strength applications, the thin thread gives a firmer grip because of the small advance per turn. Since these screws are usually harder their threads are also stronger to support higher strain.

There are advantages disadvantages to both:
Fine threads
used to thread tubing
used on thin material
used when fine advancement per turn desired.

Coarse:
stronger
faster to install /remove
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
There are advantages disadvantages to both:
Fine threads
used to thread tubing
used on thin material
used when fine advancement per turn desired.

Coarse:
stronger
faster to install /remove
Tin

I'd argue that one Tin - you can put a lot more pressure on a fine thread than a coarse, and the larger root diameter of the fine means it will be stronger in shear as well.

Handbook of bolts and bolted joints
Ok I sit corrected. Coarse thread do have a higher stripping strength. Fine threads have a higher tensile and shear strength. Of course for high strength threads are rolled for male threads and formed with a forming tap for female threads but that is not really part of this thread.
Tin

Latest posts

Back