Members locations.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagar

Reaction score
Maybe I'm strange, but I find it interesting to see what part of the world members are located. One never knows,a new member may join one day that may live in my town.
I find it a pitty that a lot of members dont put this on there profile.

what do you think ?

Ian (seagar)
Coffs Harbour,
Australia. :noidea:

Yes, it's amazing how many paranoid people there must be out there. It's particularly annoying when someone asks for a source of supply for something but won't reveal where he's located.

Also, when you do give your location, be careful of abbreviations since this is an international forum. For example, 'CA' is the abbreviation for Canada but it's also the abbreviation for California. California has cities named Ontario and London. See where this is going?

Giving only a city can be problematic as well. The USA has cities named Boston, Portsmouth, Berlin, Cairo, Versailles, Madrid, Moscow, etc. - sometimes several in different states. (The original settlers weren't very inventive in their naming.)

So Marv, do you live in Louisiana or California, which is it? :big:

Everyone who knows where Pilot Hill is, raise your hands......

Ian: I agree it would be great and helpful if everyone would post there location. I have asked folks to do so in many threads. I will not be for it and in the spirit of this forum likely will never demand it although it has crossed my mind. I have put a few folks locations in there personal text. this subject has bee kicked around the block a time or two. before.
Tin

Troutsqueezer said:
So Marv, do you live in Louisiana or California, which is it? :big:

Everyone who knows where Pilot Hill is, raise your hands......

Los Angeles is big enough that it doesn't need to be spelled out. Sort of like NY, NY. I did realize that there might be an LA in Canada, hence the USA country designation.

And, yes, I know where Pilot Hill is located. (off I80 NE of Sacramento)

G'day Ian
I'm just down the road in Western Sydney
Distance: 544km Time: 6hr 16min (approx) ;)

Cheers
Paul

I'm all for knowing where someone is located...at least by country, province, state. I don't need to know the exact address (If I have to...I'll find you...several of my daughters' boyfriends can attest to that).

For me it's less about knowing how we can help (although that's important too)...but, given my own background, I like the 'international' feeling.

I just find it interesting to see where people are from. Sometimes it's interesting to see how the 'dialect', if you will, matches where I think people are from.

It also bugs me when someone offers something for sale and you have to ask where they are only to find out the shipping 12,000 miles costs more than the item. Waste of time and energy.

There has been more than one time that I thought of sending photos to help, or engine plans to somebody only to find out there Email address is also missing. Their loss!!

Use modern technology. Just read the 'Home' location of your GPS and put it on your profile.

Some people for all kinds of valid reasons don't want to post too much personal information, but it's not like we're all going to show up at your house... (unless invited for a shop tour ;D ;D)

Country, maybe state and city is plenty.

I am going to come up with a wild guess here, but it seems you need to have an icon assigned for your location to show up under your name when you post?

I can say Detroit and get away with just that much, even as there are multiple Detroit's out there, nobody wants to be mistaken for us. 8)

mklotz said:
Los Angeles is big enough that it doesn't need to be spelled out. Sort of like NY, NY. I did realize that there might be an LA in Canada, hence the USA country designation.

Not quite true, when I was roaming around the deep south, especially in Alabama, LA meant Lower Alabama :p

Mike

I would love to add my 'pin' to the map, however, every time I try, the download gets to "1 item remaining" and hangs. :(

Stuck nowhere, ;)
Chazz

ChooChooMike said:
Not quite true, when I was roaming around the deep south, especially in Alabama, LA meant Lower Alabama :p

ROFL. I have a whole bunch of comebacks to that but, sadly, none of them are printable. Let's just say that, outside of Alabama, nobody is going to interpret 'LA' as lower AL. Do they interpret NY as Northern Yukon?

The population of greater Los Angeles is about twice the population of the state of Alabama.

Ah! It's not Lost Atlantis then?

I have always looked on in amazement how our United States colleagues can take perfectly understandable words and make a marvelous acronym from them. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

ruzzie said:
G'day Ian
I'm just down the road in Western Sydney
Distance: 544km Time: 6hr 16min (approx)

G'day ruzzie,I grew up in wertern Sydney at Merrylands. Anywhere near you?
I think your answer to my post just illustrates what I was on about and where it can lead to.

Ian (seagar)

Hello,

I too take an interest in where other members are from, it is interesting to see how different techniques are put into practice in different parts of the world, and also how conditions can play a vital part during the machining process. I live in a temperate climate where I served my time as a fitter and turner, once completion of my 4 year apprenticeship I relocated to a small mining town 1700 km north of Perth called Port Headland to work. I found the summer daytime temperature would reach 50 degrees C plus with the humidity reaching 90-95% at times. This variation in temp caused me lots of grief obtaining accurate sizing and repetition of sizing, sometimes overnight parts could shrink up to 0.001", this took some getting used to.

How about you guys located in the USA and UK, where temperature drop below zero
this must be a fine art to gain accuracy, what are the strategies?

Going back to the member location subject, one thing we all have in common from any part of the world is the fact there is certain groups of people out there who think they do not have to be an honest hard working citizen and are willing to try and steal other peoples identity for financial gain or just to be a nuicence.

At the end of the day I am willing to put my location out there on this site, I also think we all need to have faith in our fellow model maker and hope the unwanted guests stay away.

Baz.

Going back to the member location subject, one thing we all have in common from any part of the world is the fact there is certain groups of people out there who think they do not have to be an honest hard working citizen and are willing to try and steal other peoples identity for financial gain or just to be a nuicence.

I have just accepted the fact that nothing is secure anymore. There are so many places where you are required to provide personal information that is stored on computers that are are subject to theft and hacking that we might as well admit that the bad guys have won.

Last year I got a letter from the Government telling me that three laptops had been stolen from a Government office that contained my personal health information that was not even encrypted.

Back