Mechanical design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldboatguy

Reaction score
I have been in drafting & mechanical engineering for about 40 years. Until recently I owned an engineering company which builds wooden pallet recycling machinery. I use AutoCad & Autodesk 3D Inventor. I've got a 6" X 18 Atlas lathe, a Rockwell R8 vertical mill (baby bridgeport) and an 11" Logan lathe.

oldboatguy said:
I have been in drafting & mechanical engineering for about 40 years. Until recently I owned an engineering company which builds wooden pallet recycling machinery. I use AutoCad & Autodesk 3D Inventor. I've got a 6" X 18 Atlas lathe, a Rockwell R8 vertical mill (baby bridgeport) and an 11" Logan lathe.
None of the above counts unless you build something!!! ::) ::)

Welcome to the board. Is your Logan a Series 900 or 1900? I used to have one of those little Atlas 6" lathes. They are great for small work but the change gears can be a pain.
Stan

Brian, I am not currently building anything but I am using inventor to design a beam engine using some laser cut parts for the frame. (we have several good laser shops in our area who can hold +/- .005" on up to 3/8" thick material.) I will try to post the plans when I get it further along. I have also just finished a virtual model in Inventor of an old vertical single with reversing gear which I found on the web. I will try to post that soon as well. My last machining project was about 20 years ago when I built a double cylinder marine launch engine with reversing gear. It was open column with 5/8" x 5/8" bore & stroke. Since then I got extremely busy running my company. I now have more time so I hope to get my stuff back to work.

I am a mechanical design and development engineer. I started out drafting with a ruling pen on linen. I passed my journeyman's examination as a machinist/tool & die maker in Germany (on my fifth try). A decade later, I passed my Professional Engineer's examination on the first attempt (763 out of 800 possible points). If you have an airbag system in your car, there is a 45% chance that it is my work pointing at your face. Most recently (as in last week), I developed a holding and alignment system for a new medical laser system (I can't say anything else about it as it is covered by proprietary information agreements).

Lew,

My son-in-law is CEO of a medical laser consortium of plastic surgeons here in Adelaide. They have surgeries in all our capital cities, (7), Dubai, Singapore, Bangkok and Seoul. My daughter carries out paramedical procedures using this equipment, mostly on the blue rinse set, that is, when she is not running intensive care at our second largest hospital.

Sorry but I don't know the name of the supplier of the laser equipment - looks to me like a vacuum cleaner on steroids. ::)

Best Regards
Bob.

Latest posts

Back