Measuring Instruments: Vernier Puzzle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antman

Reaction score

Remember those round slide rules… Do you know how easy they are to use really?
Well, say you had a big round table with a big worm about 120 or 180:1 . Now your scale is big, remember divisions break down quickly into recurring fractions. A big vernier is nice, on my big Rabone Chesterman ( the inside jaws are so half inch) the vernier is fully 2.45 inches. But 9 goes nicely into 360, so how would you number a complete circle decimal vernier scale… to read negative rotations?
Regards,
Ant

If nobody else wants to start this thread, I will. The clue is to make one then work out how to use it. I think it's a bit unfair calling me a senior member and I don't even own 1 machine tool...yet! I have plenty hand tools but no scrapers. If you want me to give you the answer this had better be a long term thread.
Ant

HI Antman,
I'm a young whipper snapper at 39. Never used a straight slide rule in anger, although I got one off E-bay to play with.
I have used a circular slide rule for aviation and yes it was easy to use (if you engaged your brain first). Both we set on a logarithmic scale.
Looking forward to the answer being revealed.

I think it's a bit unfair calling me a senior member
Look out, you're an advanced member now :hDe:. Hope it's not age related.
You haven't had a birthday since your last post have you stickpoke. Remember age is in he mind, I'm still 21 scratch.gif
Cheers
Phil

Antman said:
If nobody else wants to start this thread, I will. The clue is to make one then work out how to use it. I think it's a bit unfair calling me a senior member and I don't even own 1 machine tool...yet! I have plenty hand tools but no scrapers. If you want me to give you the answer this had better be a long term thread.
Ant

Hi I am confused ??? , not hard to do

Back