Maryak 10

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Some of your work holding techniques are great and I hope you don't mind if I borrow a couple for later on in this project."

I;ll send you a bill.. ::) ;D

What ever floats the boat my friend works for me.....thanks for the help a while back, appreciated that!

I'll download those drawings....but probably not tonight...I'm turning into a pumpkin here.....

Dave

Great progress! looking good.

Dave and kustomkb,

Thanks guys for your support. :bow:

THE DRILLING JIG otherwise known in the trade as STUFF UP Numero Uno or Oshibka Odeen
smiley-signs131.gif

The crankcase end of the drilling jig

IMG_0182.jpg

Cut off turned around and starting on the cylinder end of the jig.

IMG_0184.jpg

When disengaging the longitudinal feed some nong managed to continue on and engage the x feed.

Scratch one Jig.
smiley-signs081.gif

IMG_0185.jpg

With that under my belt and having had a long and involved chat to myself, (most of which is not printable), started again.

The cylinder end complete.

IMG_0188.jpg

And success the crankcase end complete.

IMG_0189.jpg

Now all I have to do is drill 10 holes in the correct places :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bob

Don't you just hate it when that happens with the feed, I did it a couple of times with my 320 as well, scared the heck out of me the first time it happened, I ended up making a longer actuating lever to give me a bit more feel.

The new engine is really starting to look the goods now, I'm assuming that when you get to run it that we'll be able to hear it up here in the hills! Hope so anyway.

BTW - went out to Surman Metals for the first time today after reading about them in one of your earlier posts - man what I wouldn't give to be allowed an hour or so in there to collect samples, never seen so much metal just crying out to be machined. Saw a couple of ally billets that look like they'd make a good crankcase for the Maryak 2 litre single!

Rgds - Gavin

Gavin,

Thanks for your support, nice to know I'm not alone -
wow.gif

gjn said:
Bob

Don't you just hate it when that happens with the feed

In a word YES
smiley-signs024.gif

BTW - went out to Surman Metals for the first time today after reading about them in one of your earlier posts - man what I wouldn't give to be allowed an hour or so in there to collect samples.

Perhaps we should go together when they are at smoko and offer our help with their surplus stock.
smiley-signs117.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Great project. Hope I can do that someday.

Just curious, why did you use steel for the cyl instead of aluminum with a liner?

Ron

Bob,
It's really looking good! You've gotten a lot done in a short time.

Sorry about the stuff up. At least it was early on and not on the last of the ten holes (that's usually when I do it ::) )

Kevin

Great progress Bob. Great workholding techniques you're sharing with us. But I am curious, when this engine is complete and you do your first run with a propeller on it, what will you use to hold your house down :big:?

Cheers,
Phil

Ron, Kevin and Phil,

Thanks for your support and encouragement. :bow: :bow: :bow:

ozzie46 said:
Just curious, why did you use steel for the cyl instead of aluminum with a liner?

Ron, you raise a very interesting point there. I don't know exactly how many times I flip flopped from all steel to steel and aluminium as you suggest.
smiley-signs031.gif
At this stage it's still an option as I can machine away the fins and replace them with an finned aluminium sleeve.

Speaking from a position of total ignorance,
smiley-signs125.gif
I believe the beast is way too heavy for a model aircraft even with the weight reduction from using alu and steel. If that is true I guess the above doesn't matter all that much.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,

Just seen your cylinder instalments, for some reason I didn't receive e-mail notifications. The engine is looking great! :bow: Which part's next on the agenda?

Nick

Dave & Nick,

Thanks for your support. :bow:

When I get all the holes drilled and tapped, I think probably the bearing bushes for the crankcase.

Best Regards
Bob

Don't know about the Beat, but the Heat sure goes on. :big:

Here's what I managed before the Heat Beat me.
happyhappy.gif

Set up in the mill for drilling the drilling jig.

IMG_0190.jpg

Drilling the jig.

IMG_0191.jpg

The completed drilling jig.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Drilling the crankcase.

IMG_0195.jpg

The crankcase after drilling the transfer ports and hold down bolt holes.

IMG_0196.jpg

After that, I felt like a melting apprentice dentist
sun_smiley.gif
mgmelting.gif
smiley-sick011.gif

Enjoy your day.

Great work Bob. Question - could you have drilled those 4 transfer ports without the drilling jig or does that ensure those ports go exactly where you want them to?

Cheers,
Phil

Phil,

Thanks for your support and encouragement. :bow:

I am not sure you could drill them without the jig. You could probably use a 3/16" slot drill, but I don't have one long enough to reach through to the crankcase. This plus the more difficult set up to mount the crankcase in the rotary table convinced me that a jig was an easier option all round. I also like that using the jig seems to give better alignment of the holding down bolts rather than drilling the cylinder and crankcase individually. Lastly IMHO the jig is cheap insurance that the holes are in the right places before tackling the expensive bits.

Hope that helps. ??? ???

Best Regards,
Bob

I KNEW it was too hot.
shine.gif

I KNEW I should have stayed home.
smiley-score001.gif

I KNEW I should have remembered the camera.
smiley-score003.gif

Those are the things I now know, I know.
smiley-think001.gif

What I didn't know I would know, but I now know I know is:

I now have to make a new cylinder - first the drill ran off, (must have been too hot for it ::)) and then it broke in the most horrible place. It and the cylinder received a bouyancy test which they failed dismally.
smiley-violent018.gif

Happy Days
wow.gif

Bob

You broke Bob's Blood Temp rule and Murphy has no compassion!

You should be home with a cold beer, last time I looked it was 45 in the shade, the trams have stopped running because the tracks are buckled. No sign of relief at this stage according to the weather gurus.

Commiserations on the misfortune, you'll bounce back though.

Rgds - Gavin

gjn said:
Bob

You broke Bob's Blood Temp rule and Murphy has no compassion!

Rgds - Gavin

Thanks Gavin,

Rules - My Dad used to say they are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of WISE MEN.

Oh to be a wise man. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

You Adelaide guys must have done something to really piss the weather god off today! Sorry it didn't go well for you, Bob.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the cylinder. Been there and done that. All you can do is let it blow over and get back on the danged horse.

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back