"Mary" beam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This is a model of the "Mary" beam engine. The castings are by Reeves. I think they are still available. The finished engine is 10x14 with an 8 inch flywheel. The majority of the castings are bronze with an aluminum baseplate. I made all the steel parts from stainless steel. It makes a very "pretty" engine with all of its arms and links. The drawings leave a little to be desired but anyone who knows a little trig can figure out what needs to be done with the parallel linkage. I built this many years ago but thought that everyone might be interested in seeing it. Along with the pictures I am including a link to YouTube with it operating.
gbritnell
marybeam7.jpg

marybeam6.jpg

marybeam5.jpg

marybeam4.jpg

marybeam3.jpg

marybeam2.jpg

marybeam1.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmBgGAN-7aE[/ame]

You thought we might be interested in seeing it? ???

Gorgeous Work! :bow:

Rick

That is a lovely engine. Great work you done on it. I just got a copy of the book on the mary engine by Tubal Cain. I will have to see if castings are still availble.

A museum piece :bow: What a pleasure to see it, thanks for the photos,

Cheers,
Phil

Got everything I love in an engine !
Lots of moving parts and mechanisms and architectural detail.

Great job ! :bow:

earl

Gordon,

That is simply stunning
hammer.gif
loki8.gif

Congratulations on a most beautiful piece of work
clap.gif

I am gobsmacked
eek2.gif

Best Regards
Bob

I have a set of the Mary castings in the workshop, had them maybe 25 years its one of Reeves old ones.
I machined the bed plate and beam but got side tracked by work and family. I may have to dig it out and have a go.

Good looking engine!

Thank you gentlemen for all the gracious comments. Next to a marine type engine with open columns and reverse mechanisms I think the beam engine is a great looking mechanical device. Reeves also made another beam called the ME Beam or something like that. In all the shows that I have ever attended I have never seen one, but for that matter I have only ever seen one other "Mary" For anyone contemplating building Mary check the location of the pump mounting hole on the base. As I remember it's in the wrong spot. They also have a crude way of dimensioning the connecting point for the pivot link on the parallel motion. They want you to assemble all the linkage then swing an arc with a scriber in the link hole and use that to drill the mounting hole. As I said in my first post, I just trigged it out. Much easier and more accurate.
gbritnell

Exquisite model and workmanship!! There are many things to admire in the finished engine, but I particularly like the elegans contour for the flywheel's outer rim. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Bill

The ME beam engine is a really nice one to machine. My brother built one many years ago but has never run it past a few minutes on air.

There awas one at the ME exhibition a couple of years ago and theres also one that turns up from time to time at the smaller shows.

Superb a very elegant victorian engine i would imagine the casting from reeves would cost an arm and a leg, "reeves" are not known for cheap prices! i don't know if "blackgates" do castings for that engine as they would be cheaper! that said beautifully constructed engine, well done :bow:
Max.............

Thank you for posting the pictures, GB. Your craftsmanship is top-notch.

Does anyone know if the Reeves catalog links are current? The Reeves "2000" makes me wonder if it is eight years old.

For sure, there was a long time when Reeves castings were not available. ISTR some other outfit purchased the business, but I've not heard anything about it, since.

Best regards,

Orrin

Reeves are still going but the owner seems to be a bit of a...... (il edit it myself).
From what I know the castings are made in south africa to save money
But are I understand a reasonable quality.
That said the last lot of castings I had off them were a load of shite, full of hard spots and genraly not great. That was a couple of years ago.

I should say that I now regard Reeves as being a new company and not what it once was.

Orrin

The Reeves site is upto date, the 2000 refers to the year in which the original company went belly up and a new one was formed, click on teh "history" tab at the top of the page for details.

Jason

Back