Makeshift Lathe Dog

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunboatbay

Reaction score
A neat trick from a 1948 issue of Popular Science

Lathe dog.JPG

In my world disused bicycle spokes and hose claps are the most practical items of all to have around! They can fix most problems! ;D

Thanks gunboat, love those old PopSci issues:

I've used that but not as often as one would think. Problem is, it requires the faceplate to be mounted. Most often, when I need a quick and dirty, I don't want to take the three-jaw off. So I need something with a long stud to engage the jaws on the chuck. Haven't really stumbled on the ideal solution yet.

Here are some home-made dogs for the mini-lathe. Don't have a faceplate for my mini-lathe and the dogs in my kennel are too large so I have to make my own. These are easy, no mill work, just pop some scrap on the DP and run a tap through them.

dog1.jpg

dog2.jpg

I found some ground wire clamps in the local OSH store that work just great for this application. Clamp a 5/16 rod where the ground wire would normally go and, voila, an adjustable dog to drive the work from the chuck jaw.

DOGS.jpg

mklotz said:
I found some ground wire clamps in the local OSH store that work just great for this application.

That's an awesome idea! I always got a couple of those laying around. Never thought of it.

I neglected to mention it but, on the clamp style I showed, the loose jaw can be reversed to grip smaller diameter work. That's something to keep in mind if you decide to make a similar clamp.

Of course, on many jobs it's even easier to drill the face of the stock facing the chuck to take an offset pin that contacts the chuck jaw. Lock the pin in place with superglue or Loctite.

Latest posts

Back