Machinist Handbook

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EE

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Happy new year. I was browsing the post today and saw the one in links that talks about the old machinist's handbook. I wanted to share with you a find I came across in a used bookstore about 20 years ago. It is a 1919 machinist handbook. Second edition. fifteenth printing. Total issue 124000. It has hand drawn drawings of taps, drill bits, reamers etc. It recommends lard as coolant. Pretty interesting. (not a single word about metrics) :)

machhand1.jpg

machhand2.jpg

EE, that was a good find. Not to many old ones around in that great shape. :)
I'm old too, but not in great shape. :big:

-MB

Looks to be in nicer shape than the commemorative reprint of Vol 1 I ran across the other day... still with a big price tag on it.

Some fun things in those old ones, but they're kinda free with throwing around some pretty toxic substances now and then..

I do not think the American Machinist Hand book was as quite as popular as the Machineries handbook. For one thing the Machineries handbook is better quality. I have a 13th edition of the machinery handbook 1946 that is excellent condition. My 7th edition 1949 American machinists handbook is showing its age the paper is getting dark especial in the front of the book.
Cheap paper has a high acid content and degrades over time. quality paper onion skin like used in bibles and such holds up much better as it is made from cotton fiber instead of wood pulp. .
Tin

Tin, I have the same 1946 edition you have. A $20 eBay buy. I use this book quite frequently.

The book EE found may not be of the same quality of Machinery's Handbook but it's still a nice find and something I'd have picked up if found.

The book EE found may not be of the same quality of Machinery's Handbook but it's still a nice find and something I'd have picked up if found.
No argument there I did not leave my copy of the other one sitting on the IIRC flea market table either.
The paper quality of the older one may have been better. Also Colvin and Stanly are classic authors editors. for machining books.
The older ones have info that the new ones do not, like dimensions for black smiths tongs as an example.
fyi the original machinery handbook is still available for download iirc google books .
Tin

Foozer said:
. Print seems to be getting smaller tho as the years go by.

Robert

So are my clothes. :big: :big: :big:

Ron

Latest posts

Back