Hello from Vancouver,BC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwelter

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would say that im a beginner machinist having taken metal shop in high school. The world that is the machine shop never left me after I graduated and within a few years(about 8) I purchased my first lathe. It was a Taig and while not capable of much I started making small parts mostly for repair or modification. Soon the Taig’s limitations became apparent and I started to yearn for something more capable.

Around this same time I became aware of a model engineers society in a neighboring city and promptly joined. On Saturdays I would head over there and help run the 7-1/2” gauge steam railway as a conductor. I mentioned to various other members of my interest in building my own engine one day. I was a little disappointed in the responses I received which mainly consisted of questions like “what kind of machinery do you have?” and upon hearing my answer they would quickly lose interest in talking to me. My membership lapsed and I only returned a couple of times to have a ride on the rails. That active membership year was 1998/99. 20 years ago!

Over the years I became aware of the Conley V8 and was amazed that such a small V8 could actually run and sound like a proper V8 as well.

Finally I came across “dickinohio” on YouTube and just became utterly hell bent on the idea of home building my own internal combustion engines.

I started scanning Craigslist almost hourly for machinery. Over the last year I have purchased a Southbend 9a and a Bridgeport mill. I think I have most of what I need to pull off an engine project except knowledge and experience.

The projects on display here are extremely inspiring and I hope to be able share mine someday.

Randy

Welcome to the forum Randy. Lots of useful info here and the knowledge and experience will come as you start doing basically. Start off with an easier engine and progress to a more challenging one as you build your skills. Don't wait to share - we'll be interested in how your very first project progresses!

Back