machining in the cold

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sftyvlv

Reaction score
Hello, and Merry Christmas:
This sight is absolutely fascinating. Can't be thankful enough for the experience and shared knowledge going on here.
Having said that, anybody make chips in the cold? If so how was the experience?
I have a heated garage (wood stove) and it takes awhile to warm up, even so it takes the equipment longer than that to do so.
What say you?
Sftyvlv

Its already -6 F here in Minnesota, It snowed all day & now its starting to Blow! Spent all day building my flyball Governor in the warm heated shop! :)

I decided to make mine with 3 brass balls.

IMG_6060.JPG

Cold weather will not have much of an effect on machines or the
metals being machined.

Measuring devices WILL be affected.

Micrometers and calipers are ideally calibrated at an ambient temperature
of 68F. When very cold they shrink and will give errant readings.
Zeroing the calipers and checking the mic's with standards will show
just how much if any the cold is affecting it.

Rick

I wore a long sleeve shirt today in the workshop, It had to be around 70 deg F...
Ah I love SW Florida!

Yeas but the material you are measuring will have shrunk by a similar amount. So everything is still fine and dandy. :)

Phil

rake60 said:
Measuring devices WILL be affected.

Micrometers and calipers are ideally calibrated at an ambient temperature
of 68F. When very cold they shrink and will give errant readings.
Rick

Well, cutting metals does warm them up quite quickly.

Rick

mklotz said:
You machine your mike standards? ;)

Na Their too hard to cut.
That's GRINDER work!
:big:

Rick

My biggest problem is setting a metal piece down once I pick it up! I guess when it is so cold that your fingers freeze to the metal it is time to go in ;D

I'm hoping Santa will bring the heater I asked for:

http://heating-and-cooling.hardware...eaters/contractor''s-buddy-heater-108448.aspx

My garge is insulated and dry wall but a little 110v space heater just doesn't cut it and I don't want to heat my garage constantly.

Everybody have a Merry Christmas!

YEah, it's getting downright chilly here too. The lows are starting to dip into the 60s and the ocean temp is in the mid to upper 70s. We've already had two monsoons & some serious rain, and we have another 3-4 months to go before the dry season (supposedly) begins.
Gotta tell ya, life in the tropics is tough but someone's gotta do it. :big: :big: :big:

Best regards,

Kludge

Yes but that's always a problem regardless of the starting temperature. The number of degrees rise of the workpiece for a given cut will be basically the same whether you start from 0 deg F or from 70 degrees F. If you want an accurate measurement your workpiece needs to be at the same temperature as you measuring tool, assuming they have similar coefficients of expansion.

40 degrees F difference between your workpiece and your measuring device will give you 3 tenths error on a 1" diameter of steel. Aluminium will give you 5 tenths.

An aluminium workpiece measured with a steel measuring device (both at the same temperature) will have an error of 2 tenths if measured at 40 degrees from the calibration temperature of the measuring device.

Phil

rake60 said:
Well, cutting metals does warm them up quite quickly.

Rick

Okay, so what kind of trouble am I in under these conditions: Steel measuring tools (except one lovely set of brass calipers; materials worked are steel, stainless and brass rarely exceeding 1/2" in diameter and usually ranging down from 1/4" to .3mm (Yes, I know - mixed systems.); starting temp ranging from 70o to 90o F; material remaining reasonably comfortable to the touch - ie, sharp tools, light cuts and carefully closing in on the final size so frequent stops for measurement.

I have no idea what the temperature rise is but I do know that I've rarely had any problems with heat from working the metals. (And the few times I did I do not care to discuss. They come under the heading of "No one will ever get me drunk enough to tell." ;D)

Best regards,

Kludge

Rick: I am surprised that you say temperature change will have no effect on machine tools. I can't imagine a 100°F change in temperature over a short period of time does not cause things to move, and not all in the same direction at the same time.

Stan said:
Rick: I am surprised that you say temperature change will have no effect on machine tools. I can't imagine a 100°F change in temperature over a short period of time does not cause things to move, and not all in the same direction at the same time.

Good Point!
What I meant was the machines will run fine in the cold.
Keeping them accurate does require a good bit of user input.
A lathe that cuts a constant negative taper at 80F may cut a positive taper at 30F, or the
opposite.

Keep me honest here! ;)

Rick

I have a 16X20 shop with 6" insulated walls. I am able to keep it above freezing with a 110v oil filled space heater. It has an ani-freeze setting that doesnt come on until the temp is below 5C. I used a propane radiant heater for a while last year heating the shop only when I was using it but found that with the heating and cooling cycles plus the moisture given off by the propane heater I was getting condensation on the machines and ended up with a real problem with rusting. The electric heating has worked well, no condensation and has kept the shop workable, chilly but workable.

I havent had a problem with measurement errors due to the cold. Not that they probably dont exist, but that I'm not able to work to an accuracy that it would show up...

I am trying to decide which of two options would be the best, and I think I have a feeling what the best answer is likely to be. :-\

When I get a lathe (hopefully in the next few months), I could either put it into an unheated garage or a basement workshop. I am leaning toward the garage. Unfortunately, the temp in my neck of the woods is currently hovering near -40 F or C and this is to be expected. While I can accept that a machine might be able to work at that temp, I'm not going out in a short sleeved shirt for any length of time. So if I put it into the garage, I'm looking at a short season (perhaps April to November). If I put it in the house I run the risk of SWMBO developing a headache, swarf foot etc. not to mention the fuss if there is a fire!
Can the garage really be good for a lathe in these extreme temps?

My shop is spread out between various locations. My main shop is a shed room at the back of the house the rear entrance if you will. Then I have machines in the basement. and my cutoff saw is outside in the unheated garage. I have thought of setting up shop in the garage but it would be a major shop build project there is no insulation no heat no electric not water etc. as much as the swarf issues can be a problem . It is much easier to use a shop if accessible.
Tin

My shop is currently in the basement.
If all goes well I will be moving it to the unheated garage next summer.
Before next winter arrives that garage WILL be heated. ;)
It's a small garage and it will not take a lot of work or money to properly
insulate it and fit it with an appropriately sized unvented propane wall heater.

Rick

The answer is simple, move to the north coast of N.S.W. Australia,where the weather is great one day and wonderful the next. :big: :big:

Ian

Latest posts

Back