machining in the cold

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick,

You have not asked me but I offer you my advice on heaters for shops
Get a direct vent unit. They don't use inside air for combustion.That way you don't have to deal with condensation from combustion causing rust spots on your equipment. Get it installed so that it complys with a heated garage building code so if you ever move, someone can park a car in there. ( at least 18" off the floor here in Massachusetts)

This is what I have done with my shop and it works great and will add value later.

Nice an comfy on a January night in New England.....at 10 below ( that would be -23 C in Oz ;D)

I wish we had Oz weather let me tell ya! :)

I leave mine set at 60-65F all the time so I don't have rust issues, or thermal problems, and as the garage is under the second floor it adds to the heating of the upstairs bedrooms. Make sure you have a 2" insulated steel garage door with properly installed weather seals.

Dave

The ventless heater will meet code here, but I have been offered a furnace out of a
mobile home for a very good price (FREE) as well.

Ian my oldest boy was not impressed when I told we had to lift the lathe back off the
bench after marking where the mounting holes were to be drilled then lift it back onto
the bench.
I'm afraid strapping it to his back and saying "Swim it to N.S.W. Australia."
might cause family stress. :D

Rick

Hi. Here in central Wisconsin, -3F this morning. Last fall I installed my mill-drill and lathe in garage. Thought I could handle the cold with a torpedo heater and short sessions. Boy was I wrong! ???

The propane torpedo makes water vapor when used, as mentioned above. The ice dams up on my shallow-slope roof create problems of their own. Once the concrete floor and the roll-cab full of tools gets cold, it takes a long time to warm up a shop. My friend has an insulated shop with a wood heater, and he can make it work, but only on the weekends when he's got lots of time.

The car and snow blower bring in lots of moisture and salt as well. Even with WD-40 on stuff it still gets rusty. I hate when that happens to my precision tools. Even happens in a closed up toolbox. So I keep them in my basement shop area, causing me many trips in and out.

The water-soluble coolant freezes. Everything you touch is C-C-C-O-L-D. Makes you wanna wear gloves!!!! :eek: NO NO NO

I disagree that the machines will run well. Mine start very slowly in the cold. Ever tried to pour way oil at -20F? That also makes the slides and ways harder to move.

( Deep breath. Sounds like whining to me. :'( )

My solution is to bring the Mill drill to the basement shop. Had to take it apart to get it down there. Hope to have it back together this weekend. I plan to post some pics and info when done. The 9x20 lathe will go down there next later, as I have a 7x10 lathe downstairs already.

Just my opinions and experiences, actual results may vary, do not try this at home, etc. ;D

Hope this helps. DB

Latest posts

Back