MACH3 on a laptop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I was reading on the MACH3 website that their software won't run on a laptop because of the interrupting problems of the power saving features. Can't the power saving features on a laptop be disabled enough to allow the software to run on a laptop?

Chuck

On mine they can.

Best Regards
Bob

that is there official stand. some laptops will run Mach 3 you must have a full 25 pin parallel. port. a work around if you really want to use a laptop is to purchase a smooth stepper it is a stand alone motion controller that goes in between the laptop and the breakout board.
Tin

Back in the day I tried to run mach on a dell inspiron. It didn't run well at all. I was told by my IT guy it was cuz the laptop shares video memory with ram and ram was getting interrupted by demands made by the video. I don't know much more than that. Basically it didn't work. Today's laptops are a lot more sophisticated so maybe on a modern laptop it'll run fine, then again, maybe not.

I have never had a problem running it on various laptops. As mentioned above you need to find a laptop with a parallel port, so an old laptop. Or use SmoothStepper

I have a USB to Parallel port cable that I bought. It has a USB plug on one end that plugs into the laptop and a centronics 36 pin printer interface on the other end. Also came with a small CD which has the drivers. Anybody had any experience with one of those?

The board I want to use is a stepper3 stepper controller which will run up to 3 steppers... up to 25v and 3a per phase. I bought it a number of years ago and have yet to try it out. It came with KCam5 demo software.

Chuck

I have a USB to Parallel port cable that I bought. It has a USB plug on one end that plugs into the laptop and a centronics 36 pin printer interface on the other end. Also came with a small CD which has the drivers. Anybody had any experience with one of those?

Sorry, these will not work. Mach requires total control over the parallel port with microsecond based pulses. Sending them through a USB (the S means serial) just cannot work.

There is a device called the smooth stepper that is connected by USB, but it has a specifically designed processor to run Mach. Its about $150.

Laptops often have built-in hardware that does power saving things, like slow down the clock. Since these are hardware based Mach has no way to know they are in effect.

There are some laptops that will work with Mach, but if you have one consider it a lucky break. The official policy is that laptops are not supported.

I have a 200? Compaq 900 laptop running Mach3 on my Mill. Uded Mach2 on it to. It does have the 25 pin parallel port. Hey, that is my 1 and 1/2 cents worth. ironman (Ray)

Chuck there are lots of negative posts on those PCMCIA adaptors on the Mach3 Support Forum and the YAHOO Group. I was thinking about using a more modern desktop in the shop at one time and considered using one of those until I started reading the forums. Still got my old laptop going to the shop when I need it. ironman (Ray)

Just a couple of other things that were mentioned in the seminar last week at Cabin Fever...don't know if this is help or hindrance...

It's more difficult to clean the laptop keyboard or keep swarf out of it. You can pick up cheap keyboards for a desktop pretty cheap. If necessary, it's also easier to pop the keys for better cleaning. If you still go by way of laptop, you can use an external keyboard and keep the laptop covered.

You might consider getting a cheap, no frills, desktop box. Or get a used one and put a new clean hard drive in it or get someone to take all the 'junk' applications off. Just use it for controlling the machines. Nothing else. Because of the task switching between applications and the operating system, the timing to the port can be 'interrupted'. This might be less of an issue with faster processors. If you do want to use the box for other applications, I wouldn't run them while running the machines.

I would avoid the USB too. At least any kind of converter from/to USB. Keyboard/mouse is probably okay. I develop communication systems using USB. I'd like to find the fella who developed that specification and knock some sense in him.

I think you can order a Desktop Vostro business computer with no software installed.
That is what I did with my lap top it is a Vostro business and I had it delivered with no software.
I didn't want all that Microsoft junk on it. I agree keyboards are pretty cheap and that would be the way to go IMO.

Laptops often share video memory and they have annoying power saving features. the smooth stepper puts motion control outside the computer.
Tin

Yeah, I know there are probably lots of good reasons to just buy a desktop. I'm just wanting to play around some with CNC and since I have 2 laptops, wanted to make do. The smooth stepper sounds nice, but I can't justify $150 for something that I might play with a couple of times then put it on a shelf. Also, desktops take up so much room, what with the separate keyboard and monitor. My shop is mighty limited on space...

I'm just toying with different ideas right now, I don't have anything definite in mind... that's always dangerous!

Chuck

For anybody thinking about getting a desktop to run Mach, pay careful attention to the specs.. the traditional parallel port is on the way out even there. Some companies are even getting sneaky and installing an internal USB->parallel adapter if you order a parallel port model.

As for the notebooks, most all of them have a tiny little embedded secondary processor that does things like power control, battery charging, CPU speed and so on. That can poke and prod at the CPU speed or fans or whatever else it wants to and is very difficult to disable. Sometimes, if the BIOS lets you, you can turn off the CPU power control that's the biggest problem.

jpeter said:
Back in the day I tried to run mach on a dell inspiron. It didn't run well at all. I was told by my IT guy it was cuz the laptop shares video memory with ram and ram was getting interrupted by demands made by the video. I don't know much more than that. Basically it didn't work. Today's laptops are a lot more sophisticated so maybe on a modern laptop it'll run fine, then again, maybe not.

I've got a spare Toshiba I wanted to try too.. beats dragging a desktop between machines... Might be worth a try - I'm running servos not steppers, so not sure if that makes any difference.

PS
Small world... My wife is from Kingston.... You probably know one or more of the Cherniawskis?

Wonder if there are other alternatives to MACH3 for simple stepper control that are more tolerant of various parallel ports?

Chuck

the three names that are the most comon to home shop cnc are
mach 3 windows based. discussed.
turbo cnc dos based shareware IIRC $60 license
emc2 linix based freeware.
all of the above can be downloaded and tested for free.
m3 is a bit limited without the license . Turbo cnc is a full version. and of course emc2 is a full version .
The decision is mostly based of what platform you want to run.
More info on smooth stepper here:
http://homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=51
Tin

If you have a laptop with a real parallel port give it a try. You cant loose much but some time. I have an old Compaq that works fine, Ive used it at shows several times to run my Sherline or a small router.

Just keep in mind any strange slow-downs or lock ups are not likely Machs fault.

Your only other choice is Turbocnc, but that requires a real DOS machine, it will not run in a DOS window on windows.

Trying EMC would require reloading your laptop to Linux, and when I was doing Linux work it had lots of issues with laptops, again because of the strange, nonstandard and proprietary hardware

Latest posts

Back