lube that sticks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterz

Reaction score
wmf138 said:
Hi all
a interesting thing happened today I was playing around with some indexable carbide tips trying differant things as for lube goes
and a mate of mine jokeing around said to try useing the polish wax I use on the buff so I grabed the block (grey one) I use for the first polish when polishing alloys with he lathe spinning slow rubbed a coat over it and the done a cut and the finnish was better and there was no mess
so if anyone would like to try this please let me know if the results are better or worse
the other thing to the tip seemed to be cooler

Cheers
Wayne

I would be worried about slinging abrasives from the polishing compound all over the lathe. :eek:

The thing about carbide is that it likes to work under pressure. If you are not taking a heavy enough cut at a fast enough speed and feed you will heat up the insert and the part you are turning. Compared to HSS carbide is pretty dull. If you try to baby it you end up causing more friction than you would with HSS tooling. Put the heat into the chips to keep the part and tooling cool. I was taught to look for chips that are coming off the part a nice straw color (this is in steel) and change to a shade of blue. The chips will be hotter than a $2 pistol leaving everything else relatively cool.

Ok then dont use the wax polish then

thanks for that

Wayne

or, just cover the way's with a cloth whilst polishing if it's a concern

CC

Back