Looking for boiler operating advice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played around with some olive oil, as suggested by Florian, today.
Put some olive olive oil on some sheet metal and heated from below with propane torch. They didn't appear to make an emulsion but the water and olive oil seemed to get along together. The olive oil got thinner with heat and spread a film of oil on the metal. After the water evaporated the oil film stayed thin. Put the torch flame on top of the olive oil to see if it would oxidize and get gummy. About 5 seconds of flame pointed at oil film didn't seem to bother it.

Thinking in my low pressure, low temperature engine if just might work good. Or, am i thinking wrong?

Didn't get Rudy's tractor done today. Decided to make some changes in linkage and things didn't go so good. So took no pictures......... gary

Gerald,

The name of the book is BR 2007 Naval Marine Engineering Practice Publisher HMSO 1955.

Regards
Bob :)

Gerald,

Our discussions re steam cylinder oil really started me thinking, (a very unusual event fraught with peril) ???

Some 5 years ago I was asked to fill in as engineer in a paddle steamer on the Murray river, (big event special paddle steamer weekend), as the regular engineer was suddenly taken very ill. I agreed as long as there was room, (cabin and bunk), for SHMBO. This was sorted so off we went.

The engine was a simple twin mounted on top of a loco type boiler, fired by wood at 125psig.

The main lubricator for the cylinder was a displacement lubricator, this particular one was fitted with a sight glass to show level of oil v water in the main chamber and hence when it was time for a top up.

Thinks I, how well would this work with emulsified oil? Conclusion maybe not very well. Now what was the name of the oil? another long pause whilst the gears changed and up popped Castrol Cresta.

Cresta comes in various grades but of particular interest is that it is supplied both compounded and as a straight mineral oil, particularly for superheat and condensing engines.

The engine on the paddler was non condensing, the exhaust being used first for feed heating and second for draught.

Attached is the Castrol data sheet.

Regards Bob

View attachment Oils3.pdf

Finally finished, well almost the steam tractor. Added couple more gears to get more speed reduction to the wheels. Could of used more reduction for my likings.
Added more wick to the burners and it was a little too much as relief valve was open when below half throttle.

Took almost 10 minutes to get steam and then ran for 23 minutes before the pressure dropped below 5 psi. Other then trimming the wicks some, think will add a valve to vent boiler at the pressure gauge fitting so it will be easier to fill and drain back the boiler.

Giving a first try at You Tube and see if can insert a video.

This was my first completed pressurized boiler and would like to thank ya all for the advice given. gary

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI3VzYbfjQ[/ame]

Gary,

Congratulations :big: :bow:

Regards
Bob

Back